Chocolate can reduce the risk of heart ailmentMarch 31st, 2010 - 10:09 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
March 31, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): Chocolate lovers can rejoice as studies have come up with the fact that chocolate reduces the heart risk by forty percent.
A group of German researchers followed nearly 20000 people, monitoring their diet and exercise habits for over eight years. They found that people who had one square of chocolate bar everyday had lower heart risk by about forty percent.
Earlier it was believed that dark chocolate in small amounts could be good for heart, but this is for the first time a study follows its effect over such a long period of time.
Experts think that Flavonols that are present in a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and also chocolates are responsible as they help the muscles in blood vessels widen which leads to a drop in the blood pressure.
Brian Buijsse, a dietetic epidemiologist at the German Institute of Human Nutrition in Nuthetal, Germany, the study’s lead author said that, “It’s a bit too early to come up with recommendations that people should eat more chocolate, but if people replace sugar or high-fat snacks with a little piece of dark chocolate, that might help,” Since the study only observed people and did not give them chocolate directly to test what its effects were, experts said more research was needed to determine the candy’s exact impact on the body.
Dr. Robert Eckel, a professor of medicine at the University of Colorado, said that this should not be taken as a prescription to eat more chocolates. He added, “If we all had (a small amount) of chocolate every day for the rest of our lives, we would all gain a few pounds.” He said that more studies are required to confirm the protective effect of chocolate on human heart.
The study is scheduled to be published Wednesday in the European Heart Journal.
- Chocolates Found To Lessen Risk Of Heart Attacks - Mar 31, 2010
- Dark chocolate may reduce cardio risks, study shows - Apr 25, 2012
- Eating citrus fruit may lower stroke risk - Feb 24, 2012
- Dark chocolate reduces risk of cardiac fatalities - Jun 04, 2012
- Spices stave off negative effects of fatty meals - Aug 11, 2011
- Dark chocolate may be good for your heart - Aug 17, 2010
- Dark chocolate can help lower high BP - Nov 12, 2010
- Thumbs down to benefits of chocolate, red wine - Aug 29, 2012
- Chocolate also insures against stroke risk - Oct 12, 2011
- Can dark chocolate control diabetics' cholesterol levels? - Oct 18, 2010
- Low-fat dairy foods can lower stroke risk - Apr 20, 2012
- Want to lose weight? Eat dark chocolate! - May 02, 2011
- Eating chocolate cuts heart failure risk among women - Aug 17, 2010
- Chocolate healthier than many fruit juices - Feb 07, 2011
- Chocolate good for heart, diabetic patients: Study - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: chocolate bar, chocolate lovers, dark chocolate, epidemiologist, european heart journal, exact impact, exercise habits, flavonols, fruits vegetables, german institute, german researchers, heart ailment, heart risk, human heart, human nutrition, men at work, pen men, rest of our lives, time experts, university of colorado