Chinese wary of kids’ mats as chemical said to cause cancerDecember 22nd, 2010 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, Dec 22 (IANS) Parents in China are being extra careful while buying play mats for their children after some products in Europe were found to contain cancer-causing chemicals.Belgium and France have banned brightly-coloured foam mats used by kindergartens and families with toddlers, because a recent study said formamide chemicals - used to soften the foam - can lead to cancer, the Shanghai Daily reported Wednesday.
Wang Xuebin, a grandmother of a four-month girl, said she would not buy play mats for her granddaughter. Instead, the family will let the baby play on mats made of natural fibres.
Fan Kangnian, a chemistry professor at Fudan University, said the use of formamide is unavoidable in the production of the mats.
But the health risk depended on the level of the chemical. “If it’s minimum, it will be OK,” he said.
Parents should choose high-quality play mats, because better the quality, fewer harmful elements are released, Fan said.
The mats are very popular with Chinese parents.
China’s top online shopping website, Taobao.com, has sold more than 4,400 of them in the past 30 days at 22 yuan ($3.30) each.
- Device that turns PC into porn tv on sale in China - Jan 17, 2011
- China to test clothes for cancer-causing chemicals - Jun 25, 2011
- Online sex shops booming in China - Jul 10, 2010
- Can't say 'it's over'? Tell break-up agent - Sep 03, 2011
- China's Amazon causes outrage for selling items made from cat, dog skin - Dec 23, 2010
- Asteroid shows power to synthesise life's essential chemicals - May 05, 2011
- Sale of life-like masks booms in China - Jun 27, 2011
- Cancer-causing chemical found in peanuts, cooking oil - Dec 31, 2011
- Chemical found in deodorants linked to breast cancer - Jan 13, 2012
- Cancer-causing chemicals found in China milk - Dec 27, 2011
- WC hero Psychic Paul boosts octopus consumption in Chinese restaurants! - Jul 14, 2010
- Lifestyle factors behind most cancers - Feb 29, 2012
- Chinese youths hire dates to please parents (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Baby food safety turning Chinese to look for imports - Jul 16, 2012
- Chinese youth hire dates to please parents - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: baby play, belgium, cancer causing chemicals, chemistry professor, china, chinese parents, foam mats, fudan university, granddaughter, grandmother, harmful elements, health risk, high quality, kindergartens, online shopping, play mats, shanghai, shopping website, toddlers, yuan