Chinese girls taught to say no to sexSeptember 2nd, 2010 - 10:22 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 2 (IANS) Girls in a province in southwest China are being given tips on how to say no to boys asking for sex.
Girls in Yunnan province are being given a booklet that teaches about chastity. The Yunnan provincial education department has asked all local high schools and universities to “teach girls how to reject sexual requests until marriage”, the Global Times reported citing the Chuncheng Evening News.
Authorities have introduced a textbook on sex education titled “Focus on the Family” published by a US-based Christian organisation.
The booklet covers a wide range of topics, including the human reproductive system and how to prevent AIDS.
Yang Gonghe, a director of the provincial education department, said sex and life education would be introduced in other provinces also.
According to data collected from over 80,000 college students from across the country, 14 percent admitted to having sexual relations during their college days and about 70 percent held a tolerant attitude toward sex before marriage, the Nanjing Morning Post reported.
Yang Wanqiu, a professor at the counselling centre at Yunnan University, said it was important for girls to refuse sex during college and before marriage.
“If a girl had sex with her boyfriend, she would become mentally dependent on the boy,” Yang said. “It would do no good for her studies and daily life.”
Meanwhile, Xu Tao, a student at Yunnan University, said for want of sex education, most university students learn about sex from pornography.
In Xu’s opinion, if the man and woman are truly in love and intend to marry each other, sex before marriage is acceptable.
Nie Wen, 21, said she did not think sex before marriage should be forbidden. “Both my boyfriend and I are over 18, and we are already adults,” Nie said. “We had been in love for three years, and sex has improved our relationship.”
- Chinese students to learn chastity lessons from US Christian ministry - Sep 02, 2010
- Chinese college students unaware about safe sex - Oct 30, 2010
- Unsafe sex common among Chinese college students: Study - Oct 30, 2010
- Chinese students don't know much about safe sex - Nov 14, 2011
- Sex now the main source of AIDS spread in drug-plagued China province - Nov 29, 2010
- Female Chinese students more open toward sex: Study - Jul 14, 2010
- Chinese province hit by sex crimes - Apr 24, 2012
- Boyfriend proposes to girl as she collects her degree - May 15, 2012
- When police mistook teachers for cheats in China - Nov 22, 2011
- Kiwi B-school to hold sex-ed classes for 'sexually ignorant Asian students' - Nov 19, 2010
- Two killed in China college - Jul 02, 2012
- Chinese teenage helpline swamped with sex queries - Dec 05, 2010
- 70 percent Chinese have pre-marital sex: Study - Apr 10, 2012
- Popular music promotes sexual aggression - Sep 07, 2011
- Sex in New Zealand b-school syllabus for 'ignorant' Asians - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: chinese girls, christian organisation, chuncheng evening news, college days, counselling centre, education department, focus on the family, global times, how to prevent aids, human reproductive system, life education, local high schools, provincial education, schools and universities, sex before marriage, sex girls, sexual requests, southwest china, tolerant attitude, yunnan university