Chinese firms probed for offering foetal videosMay 1st, 2012 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 1 (IANS) Health authorities in Chinese business hub Shanghai have launched an investigation after a few medical facilities reportedly offered foetal ultrasound photography that includes 3D photos and live action videos.
Officials from the Shanghai Health Supervision Agency said such practices may be taken as an illegal check of the foetus gender, and warned pregnant women about potential health hazards, the Shanghai Daily reported.
The Shanghai Food and Drug Administration said ultrasound machines are appliances allowed to be used only by licensed medical facilities and research institutes.
Those using such machines must be registered radiological technicians with professional training.
The daily said some firms were offering foetal photography and live videos at prices ranging from 1,000 to 2,000 yuan.
Such services have been flourishing in Shanghai, as expectant mothers are eager to see their baby earlier.
- Shanghai to crack down on sex determination clinics - Feb 25, 2012
- Migrants causing birth ratio problem in Shanghai - Jun 30, 2012
- Haryana to install chips to monitor ultrasound machines - May 18, 2012
- Get a group discount on surgery in a Chinese hospital - Apr 21, 2011
- Laser technique to separate twin foetuses in womb - Jun 08, 2012
- 74-year-old Chinese woman jailed for graft - Jun 05, 2012
- Rajasthan deploys spies to curb sex determination tests - Jan 03, 2012
- President calls upon medical fraternity to prevent female foeticide - Jan 28, 2011
- Haryana doctor held for sex determination test - Apr 20, 2011
- Device that turns PC into porn tv on sale in China - Jan 17, 2011
- Shanghai curbs smoking (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Cancer-causing chemical found in peanuts, cooking oil - Dec 31, 2011
- Shanghai curbs smoking - Mar 06, 2012
- Rajasthan jolted into action on skewed child sex ratio - Apr 11, 2011
- Tiniest, largest foetuses at greater risk of stillbirth - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,