China’s health ministry launches TV channelAugust 7th, 2012 - 12:18 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 7 (IANS) health ministry has launched a TV channel that will promote awareness, education and prevention of diseases.
The China Health Television (CHTV) has so far reached more than 200 million people in 70 cities, Health Minister Chen Zhu was quoted as saying by the China Daily.
“The channel will promote a healthy lifestyle and behaviour among the Chinese public,” he said.
He said the current health-promotion materials and TV programmes in the country need to be regulated as some are “motivated purely by commercial interests”.
“The knowledge has to be impartial and scientifically correct,” the minister said.
A 2009 survey held by the Chinese Health Education Centre under the ministry found that health awareness among Chinese people was poor.
Only 18 percent of those surveyed knew how to read a drug description properly, and less than three percent had any idea what kind of diseases flies, mosquitoes, rats and cockroaches can spread.
- Eight million more Chinese to get health cover - Mar 10, 2011
- China to curb smoking with increased taxes - Mar 10, 2012
- Chinese teenage helpline swamped with sex queries - Dec 05, 2010
- BRICS discuss steps to check non-communicable diseases - Sep 21, 2011
- All Tibet news media to be bilingual in five years: Officials - Nov 13, 2011
- Around 60,000 new HIV/AIDS cases in China - Nov 01, 2011
- Nearly 770m non-smokers exposed to secondhand smoke in China: Study - Aug 18, 2010
- China launches hospital reform - Jun 15, 2012
- China may raise tobacco price to curb consumption - Mar 12, 2012
- UAE launches health education booths - Jun 23, 2011
- China mulls law for 100 mn mentally ill - Oct 25, 2011
- Blind Chinese dissident hopes to study abroad - May 04, 2012
- Two in three Chinese could be overweight in 20 years - Jan 06, 2011
- Smoking scenes on China's TV screens 'could mislead teens' - Jan 09, 2011
- China puts into place new smoking ban - May 02, 2011
Tags: awareness education, chen zhu, china daily, china health, chinese health, chinese public, chtv, cockroaches, commercial interests, current health, drug description, health awareness, health education centre, health minister, health ministry, health promotion materials, health television, healthy lifestyle, idea what kind, tv programmes