China to open activity centre for gay menDecember 3rd, 2010 - 10:04 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 3 (IANS) China will soon open an activity centre for gay men, where the homosexuals will receive training on HIV prevention and will be given condoms free of cost.
The Chongqing Rainbow Floating Population Activity Centre will be officially opened in Chongqing city after the Spring Festival in 2011.
It will be reportedly be the first organisation in China to hold HIV prevention training for gay men, according to the Chongqing Business Daily.
The centre, with an area of 160 square metres, will have books, videos and pictures on AIDS prevention, along with treadmills and other exercise machines.
Condoms would be provided to the gay men free of charge.
The setting up of the centre was undertaken by the Rainbow Group, one of the pioneer HIV prevention organisations for gay men in China.
The centre will regularly visit migrant workers’ residential areas, construction sites and other areas with a large number of the floating population to promote AIDS prevention information and help people stay away from the disease, said Zhou Shengjian, head of the Rainbow Group.
- 16 million Chinese women married to gay men - Feb 03, 2012
- Sexual minorities fight AIDS with peer group's help (Feature, Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- 3,600 free condom outlets set up in Shanghai - Sep 04, 2010
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- Ethiopia gay meet creates buzz on Facebook - Dec 03, 2011
- Shanghai sets up 3,600 condom outlets for migrants to promote 'safe sex' - Sep 04, 2010
- Uganda faces condom shortage as demand soars - Feb 15, 2012
- Housewives now AIDS' worst victims in Nepal - Dec 01, 2010
- Lack of syringes hits Himachal's HIV tests - Oct 13, 2011
- Running short, Himachal borrows condoms from Punjab - Jul 13, 2011
- Nepal gay MP dubs Azad sociopath - Jul 06, 2011
- Eyeing small town India, subsidised condom set to be trendier - Jun 25, 2012
- Azad's comments on MSM shocking: Gay community - Jul 05, 2011
- 9,000 free condom vending machines set up in Shanghai (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- HIV spreading among China's elderly: 80-year-old infected - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: aids prevention, beijing, chongqing, condoms, construction sites, exercise machines, gay men, hiv, hiv prevention, homosexuals, migrant workers, organisations, pioneer, population activity, prevention training, rainbow group, residential areas, spring festival, square metres, treadmills