China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015December 4th, 2010 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 4 (IANS) China will have about 1.2 million people living with HIV/AIDS by 2015, says a government report.
China has over 740,000 HIV/AIDS patients in the mainland and sex is one of the major means of transmission of the disease.
The report, titled “Action Plan to Prevent and Control HIV/AIDS (2011-15)” and scheduled for formal release in the first half of 2011, says that despite a low prevalence nationwide, the epidemic is rising sharply among high-risk groups like gay men and sex workers.
“Given that reality, limiting new HIV infections in the next five years to no more than 500,000 is an arduous task and requires highly effective interventions,” Wang Ning, deputy director of the National Centre for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention, was quoted as saying by China Daily Saturday.
“We can’t prohibit the sufferers from having sex,” he said, adding that it was “pretty hard” for vulnerable groups like sex workers who on an average meet thousands of clients a year.
The action plan said during the coming five years, more targeted intervention programmes will be carried out among the risk group to increase their use of condoms to more than 90 percent.
At present, unprotected sex is “rampant” and even among those covered by intervention programmes only about 72 percent use protective measures, it said.
Efforts to educate the public should also be intensified, it said.
About 70,000 of the 130,000 full-blown AIDS patients are receiving anti-retroviral treatment provided free by the government, according to the ministry of health.
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
- 37 Bangladeshis died due to AIDS in 2010 - Dec 01, 2010
- Aid appeal to combat HIV/AIDS in Myanmar - Dec 06, 2011
- China to penalise people found spreading STDs - May 21, 2011
- 28,000 die of HIV/AIDS in China - Jan 22, 2012
- 56 percent drop in HIV infections since 2000 - Aug 24, 2012
- Aim to eliminate HIV-AIDS from South-East Asia by 2015: WHO (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- New AIDS cases in India drop by 50 percent - Apr 01, 2011
- India undeterred by global donors' pullout for AIDS control (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- HIV infection dropped 20 percent from 2001 to 2009: UN - Aug 26, 2011
- AIDS welfare cost may effect growth: Report - Apr 01, 2011
- Around 60,000 new HIV/AIDS cases in China - Nov 01, 2011
- Housewives now AIDS' worst victims in Nepal - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: aids patients, arduous task, china daily, deputy director, full blown aids, government report, hiv aids, hiv infections, living with hiv, men and sex, ministry of health, next five years, protective measures, risk group, risk groups, sex workers, std control, unprotected sex, vulnerable groups, wang ning