China spent $18 mn on HIV research in 2010September 15th, 2011 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 15 (IANS) China invested $18 million in HIV vaccine research in 2010, becoming the third largest contributor globally, after the US and the European Union, UNAIDS has said.
Globally, HIV vaccine research and development funding stood at $859 million in 2010, around $9 million less than in 2009, while China increased its spending by $4 million over the same period, the China Daily said citing a report issued jointly by international organisations working for AIDS.
“The long-term nature of vaccine research will require sustained investments globally and more developing countries like China are expected to shoulder more responsibilities,” an official said.
The report, however, said that overall global funding for HIV research has “flattened out” since 2000 and some early supporters, such as Canada and Sweden, have cut back. In the EU, funding has declined by 23 percent since 2007.
Shao Yiming, a top official at China’s National Centre for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention, said that in contrast, the Chinese government has pledged to further boost funding for HIV vaccine development by at least 20 percent in the five years.
- Chinese scientists a step closer to creating HIV vaccine - Apr 04, 2011
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
- Eight mn worldwide receiving HIV treatment - Jul 19, 2012
- 'Funds needed urgently to capitalise on HIV breakthroughs' - Jul 24, 2011
- Increase in domestic funding on AIDS: UN report - Jul 19, 2012
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- About $22 bn investment needed to fight HIV: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
- Dip in AIDS deaths: UN report (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- Scale up services for pregnant HIV-positive: UNAIDS - Apr 26, 2012
- 50 pc drop in HIV cases in India in 10 years: UN - Nov 23, 2010
- UN meet delegates says funds for HIV/AIDS control inadequate - Jun 11, 2011
- 37 Bangladeshis died due to AIDS in 2010 - Dec 01, 2010
- India's winning plan to fight AIDS holds hope for Africa (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Cuba to test new AIDS vaccine - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: aids, beijing, china daily, chinese government, contributor, developing countries, european union, hiv, hiv research, hiv vaccine development, hiv vaccine research, international organisations, investments, prevention, research and development, std control, sweden, term nature, unaids, vaccine research and development