China launches cancer screening programmeAugust 3rd, 2012 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 3 (IANS) In a step aimed at an early diagnosis and treatment of cancer, a government-supported project, of an estimated cost of 300 to 500 million yuan (upto $8 million), has been launched in China’s 14 provincial-level regions.
According to the project’s organisers, the project will focus on lung, breast, colorectal, upper digestive tract and liver cancer, as these are the types of cance frequently noticed in urban areas, Xinhua reported.
A national survey showed that cancer has the highest mortality rate in China’s urban areas.
According to the WHO’s prediction, China will see rising incidence and mortality related to cancer in the coming 20 to 30 years.
About 700,000 people will be screened over five years, with those diagnosed with cancer advised to seek treatment at specialised hospital, said the project’s organisers.
The campaign is being jointly undertaken by the Disease Prevention and Control Bureau under the Ministry of Health, the National Cancer Centre and the Cancer Institute & Hospital (CIH) under the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences.
The project is expected to map out more efficient cancer treatment methods by comparing the costs and affects of measures used at different stages of the disease.
It also includes a training programme aimed at boosting cancer prevention and control in medical institutes.
- Colorectal cancer affecting India's fight against cancer - Feb 18, 2012
- Gastric cancer cases rise in China - Apr 23, 2012
- Cervical cancer leading cancer-killer among Indian women - Mar 28, 2012
- Prevention is best medicine for cancer: Experts - Sep 19, 2010
- Awareness key to beating breast cancer, say experts (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- Vaccination can prevent cervical cancer deaths: Experts - Aug 07, 2012
- Childhood obesity linked to bladder, urinary cancer - Jul 24, 2012
- Immune deficiency main reason for infant mortality: Experts - Mar 05, 2011
- Many keep smoking even after cancer diagnosis - Jan 23, 2012
- Dutch varsity to do research in eye care in India - Aug 22, 2012
- Vitamin E lowers liver cancer risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Chinese women developing breast cancer at younger ages - Mar 28, 2011
- Exercise best medicine for chronic disease - Nov 11, 2011
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- Common bone drugs may cut colon cancer risk - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: academy of medical sciences, cancer institute, cancer prevention and control, cancer screening, cancer treatment, chinese academy of medical sciences, cih, colorectal, different stages, disease prevention, liver cancer, medical institutes, ministry of health, mortality rate, national cancer centre, national survey, provincial level, treatment of cancer, upper digestive tract, xinhua