Chilli peppers may help reduce acute post-surgery painNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:15 am ICT by admin
The study, presented at the American Society of Anesthesiologists 2007 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, included 41 men undergoing open (not laparoscopic) groin hernia repair with mesh.
Half of the men received 1,000 micrograms of ultra purified capsaicin (an odourless, flavourless substance) directly into their wounds during surgery. The remaining patients were given a placebo.
All of the study participants received ibuprofen and acetaminophen.
After the research, it was found that patients in the capsaicin group had significantly lower pain scores during the three days following surgery, compared to the patients who had received the placebo. There were no significant differences in average pain scores after this period.
The findings showed pain relief “without any clinically important side effects,” said study author Eske K. Aasvang, M.D., anesthesiology research fellow, Juliana Marie Center, Copenhagen, Denmark.
“The potential for a much longer duration- potentially weeks- of pain relief induced by a single administration of ultra purified capsaicin should be investigated in patients with severe postoperative pain,” Dr. Aasvang said.(ANI)
- Chronic statin therapy linked to reduced postoperative mortality - Dec 26, 2010
- Chilli peppers may help relive tingling nerve pain - Oct 14, 2009
- Novel gene therapy for cancer pain proves successful in small trial - Apr 12, 2011
- Rifaximin may help ease irritable bowel syndrome symptoms - Jan 06, 2011
- Chemical in chili peppers linked to skin cancer - Sep 03, 2010
- Chili peppers can ease tingling nerve pain - Oct 19, 2009
- Big B shows satisfactory progress, feels less pain - Feb 21, 2012
- Spinal ozone jab can relieve back pain - May 17, 2011
- Drug promises to reduce chronic pain, expedite mobility after knee replacement surgery - Oct 20, 2008
- Misuse of over-the-counter pain relievers can cause severe liver damage - May 03, 2011
- Popping painkillers may ease emotional pain - Aug 13, 2010
- It's possible to have an active life after disc surgery: Study - Jan 22, 2011
- FDA Orders Lowering of the Amount of Pain Reliever in Vicodin - Jan 14, 2011
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- A drug that relieves you of constipation - May 11, 2011
Tags: acetaminophen, american society of anesthesiologists, anesthesiology research, capsaicin, copenhagen denmark, groin hernia, hernia repair, hernia surgery, ibuprofen, juliana, micrograms, pain relief, pain scores, placebo, postoperative pain, said study author, showed pain