Children’s performance linked to sound sleepJuly 2nd, 2012 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 2 (IANS) Parents expecting a good performance from their children at school can help their kids do so by first ensuring they get a sound sleep.
A study in China’s Shanghai city has found students lacking sleep tend to be poor performers in comparison to those who have enough sleep.
Doctors at Shanghai Children’s Medical Centre studied students of 10 local primary schools. They divided the students into two groups — one slept less than nine hours a day and the other group sleeping over 10 hours a day.
“The group that slept less scored lower in all the eight test categories from memory, logic reasoning to attention,” said lead researcher Jiang Fan.
“The result surprised us as we never realised that the amount of sleep can make such a big difference in children,” Jiang added.
Primary school students should sleep for 10 hours per day while those at middle school should sleep for nine hours, she said.
“However many children don’t have enough sleep due to heavy academic burden, bad sleeping habit and parents’ low awareness,” she said.
“About 20 to 30 percent of children have sleep problems, which can result in higher risks of hypertension, obesity and diabetes in their adult years,” Jiang said.
- Hour of daytime sleep can lower blood pressure - Mar 01, 2011
- Sacrificing sleep for study hits academics - Aug 21, 2012
- Unhygienic practices lead to poor academic performance: Study - May 30, 2012
- 80 percent of Chinese students sleep deprived - May 30, 2011
- Sleep problems may cause kids to become aggressive - Jun 01, 2011
- More sleep may trigger stroke risk in women - Nov 15, 2010
- 'Fathers responsive to kids have low testosterone' - Sep 10, 2012
- China debates as student lambasts exams - Apr 17, 2012
- Sleep loss can cause testosterone levels to plummet - Jun 01, 2011
- 7-hour sleep helps high school students do better - Feb 13, 2012
- Internet program helps young children and moms sleep well - Apr 02, 2011
- Less than one third of children wake up when home smoke alarm sounds - Mar 12, 2011
- Too much TV 'will put kids' heart at risk' - Apr 21, 2011
- Chennai student kills teacher for complaining to parents (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Going against body clock paves way to obesity - May 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,