Childhood obesity linked to bladder, urinary cancerJuly 24th, 2012 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, July 24 (IANS) Obesity in childhood has a direct link with bladder and urinary tract (urothelial) and colorectal cancers in adulthood, warn Israeli researchers.
Hence, maintaining a healthy weight has become a dire necessity. Besides extra pounds are tied to the risk of diabetes, heart disease, and joint and muscle pain.
Ari Shamiss and Adi Leiba of Tel Aviv University Sackler Faculty of Medicine and their fellow researchers conducted a longitudinal study of a cohort of 1.1 million males in the Israeli military, who were followed-up for 18 years, the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention and Obesity reports.
When they controlled for factors such as year of birth and education, the researchers discovered a clear link between childhood BMI, a height to weight index and those who were diagnosed with urothelial or colorectal cancers later in life, according to a Tel Aviv statement.
Shamiss believes that further research will reveal connections between childhood obesity and a wide range of other cancers, including pancreatic cancer, which he is currently researching.
- Turmeric 'the right spice' to fight colon cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- Air pollution increases risk of repeat heart attack - Jun 06, 2012
- Scientists uncover gut bug link to type 2 diabetes - Mar 14, 2012
- Teenage obesity raises cancer risk - Jun 16, 2011
- High-fat food hastens pancreatic cancer, says study - Jun 21, 2012
- Body weight influences death risk among Asians: Study - Mar 05, 2011
- Exposure to bodycare products linked to childhood obesity - Jan 21, 2012
- Smoking doesn't boost breast cancer risk in obese postmenopausal women - Apr 04, 2011
- Study reveals that prolonged bottle feeding increases obesity risk in children - May 06, 2011
- Diabetes drug may elevate bladder cancer risk - Jul 04, 2012
- Imbalanced diet, inadequate exercise may cause asthma in kids - Sep 17, 2010
- Lynch syndrome's mutated genes raise risk of cancers - Feb 15, 2012
- Having desserts for breakfast good for slimming - Feb 08, 2012
- Smart bugs inspire better robotics design - Nov 18, 2011
- A quicker way of detecting hearing loss - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: cancer epidemiology biomarkers, cancer epidemiology biomarkers and prevention, childhood obesity, cohort, colorectal, colorectal cancers, faculty of medicine, fellow researchers, heart disease, israeli military, israeli researchers, journal cancer, longitudinal study, maintaining a healthy weight, muscle pain, sackler faculty, tel aviv university, urinary cancer, urothelial, weight index