Chandigarh plans blood collection centres in mallsOctober 10th, 2009 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 10 (IANS) Popular malls in Chandigarh may no longer be places for just shopping and whiling the time away. If health officials here have their way, the malls could soon double up as blood collection centres.
Chandigarh, which has been declared by the National Aids Control Organization (NACO) as the best in blood transfusion services, is known for its voluntary blood donation campaigns.
“To facilitate the residents’ involvement and provide easy access to blood donation services, Chandigarh is planning to start blood collection centres at popular malls,” Chandigarh state AIDS control society project director Vinita Gupta said.
The city, which has four licensed blood banks, collects 80 percent of blood through voluntary donations.
“Of the 54,742 units of blood collected till September this year, 80 percent has been through voluntary donations,” Chandigarh’s director-health services M.S. Bains said.
Chandigarh collects nearly 115 units of blood every day.
The city’s blood banks, located at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH), Government Multi-Specialty Hospital (GMSH) and the Rotary and Blood Bank Society Resource Centre cater to the blood needs of the city and some areas of the neighbouring states of Punjab and Haryana.
The PGIMER blood bank is being upgraded as a model unit and two new blood storage facilities will be set up by December, Bains said.
- Haryana's Sirsa sets record with 545 blood donation camps - Jun 14, 2011
- Summer brings drought of blood donors: Experts (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 13, 2010
- India needs young blood donors: Health Minister - Jun 14, 2010
- Blood donation bus launched in Haryana - Nov 08, 2010
- Voluntary blood donation increases in Haryana - Jun 14, 2011
- Azad inaugurates "State of the Art Blood Mobile" van on National Voluntary Blood Donation Day - Oct 01, 2010
- Chandigarh best in blood transfusion services - Apr 27, 2009
- Demon king Ravana donates blood in Chandigarh! - Oct 10, 2010
- UAE centre collects 3,500 units of blood - Apr 06, 2012
- In Tripura, blood donation is a movement (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 14, 2010
- Soon, a national e-blood bank service - May 08, 2012
- People participate in blood donation awareness rally in New Delhi - Dec 05, 2010
- India undeterred by global donors' pullout for AIDS control (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- Blood donation awareness campaign launched in Chennai - Sep 24, 2010
- Police find Rs.20 lakh on dead trader - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: aids control, blood banks, blood collection, blood transfusion, blood transfusion services, donation services, gmch, gmsh, government medical college, graduate institute, model unit, national aids control organization, neighbouring states, pgimer, s bains, specialty hospital, state aids, storage facilities, voluntary blood donation, voluntary donations