Chandigarh people walk for cancer awarenessDecember 9th, 2009 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 9 (IANS) More than 100 residents of this union territory took part in a cancer awareness walkathon Wednesday to sensitise the masses about the perilous disease of cancer.
The walkathon with a theme of ‘know cancer to conquer it’ was organised by a city-based NGO Cancer Sahayata Sahyog.
Ace shooter and Olympian Abhinav Bindra flagged off the rally from hotel Taj and it culminated at Sector 17, the commercial hub of Chandigarh, after covering a distance of around 2 km.
“This walkathon aims at creating awareness about cancer disease and to mobilise broad-based community support for this important social cause,” said Renu Saigal, president of Cancer Sahayata Sahyog, and herself a cancer survivor.
People of all age groups from different professions like doctors, teachers, social workers, students and long-term cancer survivors took part in the walkathon.
Various dignitaries, who participated in the walkathon, included Jean Rodrigues, wife of the Chandigarh administrator, Panjab University vice-chancellor R.C. Sobti, director of Government Medical College and Hospital Raj Bahadur and Savita Bhatti, wife of famous comedian Jaspal Bhatti.
After the culmination of the walk, all the participants took a pledge to fully support cancer awareness in society.
- Chandigarh to host convention on cancer - Dec 07, 2009
- Panjab University to hold 'Job Fair 2011' - Dec 21, 2010
- Jaspal Bhatti to set up 'corruption temple' in Delhi - Apr 07, 2011
- No Panjab University hostel for freshers using cars - Nov 25, 2010
- Panjab University to host its pre-1970 alumni, including PM - Dec 03, 2010
- Dental college strike over T-shirt tiff continues - Feb 02, 2011
- Central funds to help Panjab University clear deficit - Nov 02, 2010
- Girls outshine boys at Panjab University convocation - Feb 14, 2011
- Panjab University teachers reject UGC regulations - Jul 03, 2010
- Delhi hosts walkathon for public awareness on cancer - Feb 07, 2010
- Gambia varsity approaches Panjab University for teaching help - Aug 26, 2009
- To protest or not to protest - Panjab University debates - May 04, 2011
- Breast cancer awareness walkathon held in Hyderabad - Oct 03, 2010
- Jaspal Bhatti sets up factory for foundation stones! - Nov 29, 2011
- Panjab University's anthem released - May 17, 2011
Tags: abhinav, age groups, cancer awareness, cancer disease, cancer survivor, cancer survivors, comedian, commercial hub, culmination, dignitaries, government medical college, jaspal bhatti, r c sobti, raj, rodrigues, savita, sector 17, social workers, union territory, vice chancellor