Chandigarh gets fifth swine flu caseJuly 31st, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 31 (IANS) A 17-year-old resident of neighbouring Mohali town tested positive for the influenza A (H1N1) virus and has been admitted to a Chandigarh hospital, health officials said Friday.
According to the officials, this is the first case in Chandigarh where infection spread through close contact. The patient’s sister tested positive for the flu. She returned from Singapore last week.
The boy was admitted to an isolated ward in a government hospital here in Sector 32 Wednesday.
“We had sent his throat swab samples to NICD (National Institute of Communicable Disease) in New Delhi and got the report yesterday evening that confirmed the infection,” H.C. Gera, Chandigarh’s nodal officer for swine flu, told IANS Friday.
“He had come to the hospital with complaints of high fever, sore throat and a running nose. He is recovering and his condition is stable,” stated Gera.
This is the fifth confirmed case of swine flu in the city.
So far, over a dozen swine flu cases have been reported from Punjab. Most of those infected are students from a school in Jalandhar, 150 km from here, who returned from a trip to NASA in the US.
- Doctor contracts swine flu in Chandigarh - Nov 23, 2009
- Two cases of swine flu in Chandigarh - Jul 19, 2009
- Couple in Punjab tests positive for swine flu - Jul 07, 2009
- Youth tests positive for swine flu, first case in Chandigarh - Jun 24, 2009
- Chandigarh gets positive swine flu case - Jul 28, 2009
- Three Chandigarh students get swine flu - Nov 20, 2009
- India has five more swine flu cases, total stands at 73 (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2009
- Chandigarh gets eighth swine flu case - Aug 16, 2009
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 25, 2010
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
- Five new suspected swine flu cases in Chandigarh - Aug 18, 2009
- Chandigarh reports seventh swine flu case - Aug 08, 2009
- 17 members of a family quarantined with swine flu symptoms - Aug 10, 2009
- One more dies of swine flu in West Bengal - Aug 03, 2010
- 12-year-old girl first swine flu victim in Chandigarh - Sep 28, 2009
Tags: close contact, confirmed case, flu, flu cases, gera, government hospital, health officials, high fever, influenza, nasa, New Delhi, nodal officer, running nose, singapore, sore throat, swine flu, throat swab, virus, yesterday evening