Cell Phones And Pregnancy: A Curse For The Young OnesDecember 8th, 2010 - 8:30 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Dec 8, (THAINDIAN NEWS) School of Public Health at the University of California, Los Angeles lately conducted a study, that stated that pregnant mothers who extensively use mobile phones have relatively high chances of giving birth to kids comprising of behavioral problems like misconduct, hyperactivity and low on concentration level, and relationship problems, more so if the children starts using the mobile phone from a very early age. The recent study, was conducted on 28,745 children, and the article has been published recently to mark a matter of concern amongst pregnant mothers.
The researchers used the children enrolled in the Danish National Birth Cohort born between 1996 and 2002. The survey involved their mother to fill up the questionnaire that included standard tests for emotional or behavior problems like hyperactivity, inattention and unsociability in their children. While the variables in the questionnaire dealt with their lifestyle, parents’ mental and health histories and the frequency of cell phone usage amongst them. The results showed that children who were exposed to mobiles before and after their birth were 50% more at risk, in acquiring emotional problems, while those who were exposed to it only after their birth, were 40% more vulnerable than those children who were not exposed to it. It also showed that children who used them by the age of seven were 20% more vulnerable to these problems.
Lead author Leeka Kheifets in the study, who published the article in a reputed research magazine wrote that this conclusion is a matter of intensive public health concern, since the use of cell phones are on a sharp rise these days. The research has also found that it also increases the risk of brain tumors and cancer amongst children many fold more than that in adults.
- Mobile use in pregnancy ups risk of kid's bad behaviour - Dec 07, 2010
- Study: Frequent Cell phone usage in pregnancy could lead to behavioral problems in kids - Dec 08, 2010
- Cell phone use in pregnancy affects foetus' brain - Mar 16, 2012
- Cell phone use by pregnant mums linked to behavioural problems in kids - Dec 07, 2010
- Kids with epilepsy 'more likely to have psychiatric symptoms' - Mar 26, 2011
- Foetal exposure to chemical BPA causes problems in girls - Oct 24, 2011
- Stressed moms-to-be more likely to have unruly kids - May 08, 2011
- 'Half of all child deaths in India due to pre-term births' - May 02, 2012
- Research: Exposure To Cell Phones During Female Pregnancy Could Engender Impolite Conduct In The Kids - Dec 08, 2010
- Living in a city makes you fat, infertile, depressed - Nov 22, 2011
- Babies born by caesarean 'are calmer' - Nov 04, 2010
- Callous-unemotional traits help identify kids at risk of antisocial behavior - Feb 21, 2011
- Boy toddlers need extra help coping with negative emotions - Mar 09, 2011
- Overweight mothers could be putting babies at risk - Aug 15, 2012
- Pregnancy stress ups behavioural risks among kids - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,