Cashless health insurance for 4.75 mn domestic workersJune 23rd, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) Around 4.75 million registered domestic workers in India will soon be covered by a smart card-based cashless health insurance scheme, an official statement said Thursday.
According to the statement, the cabinet approved the extension of the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) to all registered domestic workers in the country.
“The scheme envisages smart card-based cashless health insurance cover up to Rs.30,000 in an empanelled hospital anywhere in the country. The funds will be allocated from the National Social Security Fund for unorganised workers,” it said.
“Domestic work forms one of the largest sectors of female employment in the urban areas. It is an unorganised sector and remains unregulated and unprotected by labour laws,” it added.
Domestic workers mainly come from vulnerable communities and backward areas. Most of them are poor, vulnerable, illiterate, unskilled and do not understand the urban labour market, it further said.
The scheme will be rolled out between 2011-2015.
- Now, workers in unorganised sector under health insurance scheme - Jan 12, 2012
- Over 14.5 million covered under social security programme - Nov 29, 2010
- Government mulling health insurance for domestic workers - Jul 27, 2010
- Why no social security for unorganised workers, NAC asks government - Apr 30, 2012
- 12th Five Year Plan to focus on health: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh on rampant uterus-removal surgeries - Jul 25, 2012
- National Advisory Council reviews its progress - Jul 06, 2012
- Max Bupa bids for state health insurance in three states - Oct 18, 2011
- Medical insurance for 55 lakh beedi workers - Jun 09, 2011
- Government health insurance to cover beedi workers - Mar 15, 2012
- Key cabinet decisions of 2011 (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Helpline for labourers in Delhi - May 01, 2011
- Cabinet okays Rs.1,000 crore fund for unorganised workers - Jul 28, 2011
- National Social Security Fund to be set up for unorganized sector workers - Feb 26, 2010
- Bihar assembly committee to probe 'health scam' - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: female employment, health insurance, health insurance scheme, India, insurance, june 23, labour laws, national social security, New Delhi, sectors, smart card, social security, social security fund, unorganised sector, urban areas, urban labour market, vulnerable communities