Candlelight memorial to honour HIV/AIDS affectedMay 16th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 16 (IANS) A candle light memorial will be held Sunday to honour those affected by HIV/AIDS across Andhra Pradesh where prevalence of the disease is high.
The event will be organised by International AIDS Candlelight Memorial (IACM) that lights candles on every third Sunday in May to honour those affected by HIV/AIDS.
“Andhra Pradesh continues to be one of the states where HIV prevalence is high and around half a million people are living with HIV in the state. Many NGOs and community based organisations are facilitating such events in other parts of the state,” IACM national coordinator M.K. Nabeel said.
Along with several national and state level organisations like the Andhra Pradesh State AIDS Control Society, the UNAIDS office here is also supporting the event being held in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh.
“Similar programmes are held at more than 250 locations in India and around 1,200 centres internationally, spread across 120 countries,” Nabeel said.
The theme for the IACM event this year is “Together We Can” with emphasis on “Ensuring Access to Treatment, Prevention and Care”.
The event would also include a symposium on stigma and discrimination and a candlelight ‘human chain’ would be formed at the premises of the District Collector’s Office Sunday evening.
- HIV patients gather to participate in Chennai candlelight memorial - May 22, 2010
- Treat HIV/AIDS as social, developmental issue, say experts (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2009
- Aid appeal to combat HIV/AIDS in Myanmar - Dec 06, 2011
- Kolkata to walk for AIDS awareness - Dec 09, 2010
- Don't neglect people with HIV, PM tells ministries - Jul 04, 2011
- HIV-AIDS prevention tops India's agenda, says minister (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Young women most vulnerable to HIV: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
- 'NACO merger with NRHM not insensitive' - Apr 27, 2012
- India undeterred by global donors' pullout for AIDS control (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- Homosexuality no disease, India must include MSM: UNAIDS - Jul 05, 2011
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- Global conference of sex workers starts in Kolkata - Jul 22, 2012
- Under fire for MSM comment, Azad clarifies stand (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Meet on AIDS begins at UN - Jun 08, 2011
- Around 60,000 new HIV/AIDS cases in China - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: aids candlelight memorial, aids control, andhra pradesh state, candle light, half a million, hiv, hiv aids, hiv prevalence, honour, iacm, international aids candlelight memorial, living with hiv, nabeel, national coordinator, ngos, premises, state aids, stigma and discrimination, sunday evening, unaids