Cancer-causing chemicals found in China milkDecember 27th, 2011 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 27 (IANS) A random check on 200 dairy products in 21 provinces in China revealed that at least two samples contained a cancer-causing chemical — aflatoxin.
The General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine published the report this weekend, the China Daily reported Tuesday.
The entire tainted batch produced by the Mengniu Group was destroyed at its plant in Meishan, Sichuan province, before it could reach the market, officials said Monday.
China’s national standard allows a maximum of 0.5 micrograms of carcinogenic content in one kg of milk. The official test, however, found 1.2 micrograms of the toxic substance in the Mengniu group sample.
Aflatoxin is classified as a first-class carcinogen by the World Health Organisation.
“Experiments on animals have demonstrated a strong carcinogenic effect of the substance, and studies about epidemic diseases indicate that the content of the substance in food is relevant to the incidence of liver cancer,” said Fan Zhihong, associate professor with China Agricultural University’s college of food science and nutrition engineering.
She said the carcinogen can accumulate in the human body, and was resistant to heat.
“High temperature disinfection or pasteurizing cannot kill it at all,” Fan said.
Dairy experts say the source of the toxin could be traced to cattle feed like corn, rice and soybean which produce the poison after having been stored for a long time, said Wang Dingmian, chairman of the Guangzhou Dairy Association.
- Cancer-causing chemical found in baby milk in China - Jul 23, 2012
- Cancer-causing chemical found in peanuts, cooking oil - Dec 31, 2011
- Melamine-tainted dairy product reappears in China - Nov 24, 2010
- Cancer chemical found in Chinese river - Jan 21, 2012
- US made ciggies '3 times more cancerous than foreign counterparts' - Jun 03, 2010
- Banned pesticide found in human milk - Sep 14, 2011
- Chinese blame milk powder as baby girls develop breasts - Aug 09, 2010
- Energy saving light bulbs 'contains carcinogenic chemicals' - Apr 20, 2011
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
- Fragranced products emit unlisted 'toxic' chemicals, shows study - Oct 31, 2010
- Food chain blamed for abnormal sexual development in Chinese babies - Aug 09, 2010
- Lifestyle factors behind most cancers - Feb 29, 2012
- Moist snuff high in carcinogenic content - Dec 03, 2009
- Banned pesticides: Court wants report by Aug 17 (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Delhi HC orders panel to submit report on banned pesticides - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: aflatoxin, cancer causing chemicals, carcinogen, cattle feed, china agricultural university, china daily, dairy association, epidemic diseases, experiments on animals, food science and nutrition, general administration, liver cancer, micrograms, provinces in china, quality supervision, random check, s college, sichuan province, toxic substance, world health organisation