Cancer cases found in women with French brand implantsDecember 31st, 2011 - 5:28 am ICT by IANS
Paris, Dec 31 (IANS) Health authorities in France have confirmed to have come across at least 20 cases of cancer among women having breast implants of a French brand.
As of Tuesday, “there were three cases of lymphoma, 15 cases of breast adenocarcinoma, the most common form of breast cancer, one case of adenocarcinoma of the lung, and one case of acute myeloid leukemia,” Xinhua quoted the French Health Products Safety Agency (AFSSAPS) as saying.
It was stated in reference to allegedly faulty implants produced by the Poly Implant Prothese (PIP).
But “no accountability has been established to date between these cancers and the wearing of PIP implants,” the agency said.
The French Health Ministry last week advised 30,000 women to have their PIP implants removed. It was suggested because of an increased risk of rupture to avoid the risk of cancer though no conclusive evidence was found linking to the disease.
The recommendation came after eight cases, mainly breast cancer, were reported among women with PIP implants.
Authorities in other countries also advised women to consult their doctors over the implants.
The French company PIP was once the world’s third-largest producer of silicone implants which sold its products to tens of thousands of women in over 65 countries and regions, mainly in South America and Western Europe.
The company was found to replace the medical-grade silicone in its implants with unauthorised material that caused abnormally high rupture rates of its implants. After that, its products were banned and the company went bankrupt in 2010.
The US government raised the alarm over the company in 2000.
- France advises breast implant removal over cancer risk - Dec 24, 2011
- No breast implant ruptures reported in China - Jan 07, 2012
- Australian breast implant rupture cases on rise - Apr 05, 2012
- Dutch women advised to remove breast implants - Jan 12, 2012
- Women with breast implants alerted to cancer risk - Dec 03, 2011
- Alert for women who had breast implants - Dec 21, 2011
- Breast implants recalled over rupturing fear - Apr 04, 2010
- 1,500 Venezuelan women sue breast implant firm - Jan 11, 2012
- 100,000 UK women in danger of their breast implants rupturing - Apr 18, 2011
- Your breast implants could explode: experts - Apr 04, 2010
- Breast implants may need to be rechecked - Jun 19, 2010
- Brit women given boob job blast warning - Jun 19, 2010
- Breast implants linked to a rare form of blood cancer - Jan 27, 2011
- Dodgy breast implants not likely to explode, say experts - Sep 04, 2010
- Silicone Implants May Cause Rare Form Of Breast Cancer - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: acute myeloid leukemia, adenocarcinoma of the lung, afssaps, breast cancer, breast implants, cancer cases, conclusive evidence, french company, french health, health authorities, health ministry, health products, leukemia, lymphoma, medical grade silicone, pip implants, safety agency, silicone implants, western europe, xinhua