Canada reports sixth swine flu deathJune 15th, 2009 - 10:28 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, June 15 (IANS) Canada reported yet another death from the influenza A (H1N1) virus Sunday, taking the nationwide toll to six. The country has reported more than 3,500 cases of the swine flu since its outbreak in April.
Health officials in Quebec state confirmed in Montreal that the latest victim was a woman in her 50s. Her death takes the toll from the flu to three in the state, where more than 120 people are currently in hospitals after infection by the deadly virus.
Just a day before, a 40-year-old man had died from the virus in Montreal. Earlier, the state had reported its first death from the virus June 5.
Of the more than 3,500 cases of infection confirmed in Canada, nearly half of them have been reported from Ontario state.
According to Canadian health officials, over five percent of all the infected people have been hospitalised.
The virus reportedly travelled to Canada from Mexico with a returning farm worker who is suspected to have spread it to a pig herd in Alberta state. This Canadian pig herd is the only one to test positive for the virus now sweeping the world.
From Canada, the virus travelled to Japan via a group of returning students in April.
This week, Morocco in northern Africa also contracted the virus from Canada when a woman coming from Montreal was diagnosed with the flu Thursday. Another person travelling with her was also diagnosed with the virus Saturday.
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Canada reports first case of pigs catching swine flu from humans - May 03, 2009
- Swine flu spreads, first human-to-pig case reported (Roundup) - May 03, 2009
- Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) - Apr 26, 2009
- Flu kills four more Canadians, toll 11 - Jun 17, 2009
- Patchy monitoring may have made swine flu go undetected in pigs - Jun 17, 2009
- Royal couple in Canada - Jul 01, 2011
- Canada's cancer death rate declines - May 10, 2012
- Woman dies of swine flu in Delhi, toll rises to 15 - Aug 13, 2010
- First human-to-pig case of flu reported in Canada - May 03, 2009
- Amritsar woman dies of Swine Flu - Aug 10, 2010
- Canada confirms first flu death - May 09, 2009
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
- Oz swine flu death toll rises to 95 - Aug 11, 2009
- 900 percent fee hike by McGill University fuels anger - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: 50s, canadian health, deadly virus, flu, health officials, herd, hospitals, influenza, japan, latest victim, mexico, montreal, morocco, northern africa, old man, outbreak, quebec, returning students, swine flu, toronto