Canada helps Mexico in swine flu testingApril 30th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, April 30 (IANS) Canada Wednesday began assisting Mexico in swine flu testing as six more cases of the flu were reported in this country.
This takes the total number of swine flu cases in Canada to 19.
Three cases each came to light in Toronto and Vancouver areas, health authorities said.
To ease the growing public anxiety over the spread of the flu, International Trade Minister Stockwell Day and Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz said “all levels of government are working together to protect the health of families in Canada and around the world”.
They said though swine influenza cannot be contracted through eating pork or pork products, “consumers and trading partners can rest assured that the Canadian animal health and food safety systems remain among the best in the world”.
Fearing the impact of ban on pork products by some countries on Canada’s $2.7-billion annual exports, the ministers said in a joint statement: “We urge these countries to base their decisions on sound science. Now is the time to work together as nations to control this outbreak”.
Canada also announced to assist Mexico in testing of viral samples as the Public Health Agency of Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory began analysing the 200 specimens from patients in Mexico with severe respiratory illness.
“In the spirit of international collaboration, and as part of our North American approach to this situation, we are pleased to assist the government of Mexico with testing of virus samples,” said Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq.
- Swine flu cases now 1,893, Canada decodes its genetic make-up (Roundup) - May 07, 2009
- Despite 66 flu deaths, no panic in Canada - Aug 17, 2009
- Canadians decode flu virus, eat pork sandwiches in parliament - May 07, 2009
- First human-to-pig case of flu reported in Canada - May 03, 2009
- Swine flu pandemic imminent, warns WHO, raises alert level (Roundup) - Apr 30, 2009
- From US and Mexico, swine flu now spreads to Canada - Apr 27, 2009
- First severe swine flu case in Canada, total 140 (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- First severe flu case in Canada, total 140 - May 05, 2009
- Five more swine flu cases in Lucknow - Aug 23, 2012
- US finds first case of swine flu in pigs - Oct 20, 2009
- 15 new swine flu cases in Canada prompts awareness drive - May 01, 2009
- Canada unveils national mental health strategy - May 09, 2012
- Canada confirms first flu death - May 09, 2009
- Debate rages on name change for swine flu, WHO says no - Apr 29, 2009
- Woman diagnosed with swine flu in Bhopal - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, american approach, canadian animal, flu cases, food safety systems, gerry ritz, government of mexico, health authorities, international collaboration, national microbiology laboratory, pork products, public anxiety, public health agency, public health agency of canada, stockwell day, swine flu, swine influenza, vancouver areas, viral samples, virus samples