Budget could give more for sanitation: RameshMarch 8th, 2012 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 8 (IANS) Sanitation in rural India would get a boost with a likely 40 percent increase in the budget this year for construction of toilets in village homes, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has said.
“The union government is seriously contemplating 40 percent increase for sanitation sector in the annual budget this year, and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee has assured to pay full attention to sanitation sector in the coming budget,” he said.
The union budget will be presented March 16.
“The government is considering a proposal to increase the grant for construction of individual toilets in rural areas,” Ramesh said while launching a nationwide sanitation campaign — ‘Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan’ organised by Sulabh International Wednesday.
He also said his ministry would focus on the implementation of sanitation related issues at gram (village) panchayat level.
- Only 10 percent Indian villages fully sanitized: Jairam - Mar 19, 2012
- NGOs to help in evaluation of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan: Ramesh - Sep 18, 2012
- Women can be prime movers of sanitation, says Patil - Mar 21, 2012
- Vidya Balan to promote sanitation campaign - May 03, 2012
- Allocation for water and sanitation may go up 50 percent - Mar 10, 2012
- Open defecation will end in 10 years, says Ramesh - Jun 30, 2012
- Fund for construction of rural toilets doubled - Jun 07, 2012
- 212 Madhya Pradesh villages chosen for Nirmal Gram Puraskar - Mar 23, 2012
- Budget trendsetting for rural sector: Ramesh - Mar 16, 2012
- Ramesh offers Rs.900 crore for village coordinators - Aug 18, 2012
- President Patil emphasizes need for proper sanitation in rural areas - Mar 23, 2011
- India is world's capital for open defecation, says Ramesh - Jul 27, 2012
- Himachal to be free of open defecation by next month - Jul 24, 2011
- Runaway bride awarded for revolting against lack of loo - Feb 10, 2012
- 'MGNREGA 2.0' with 30 new works launched - May 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,