Briton gets world’s first battery-powered heart pumpAugust 17th, 2012 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 17 (IANS) A 60-year-old Briton, who suffered heart failure but was too ill to survive a transplant, has become the world’s first to get a heart pump powered by portable batteries.
Barry Wade has been allowed to leave hospital and live at home after tiny three-inch titanium heart pump — HeartMate II — was fitted in him, The Sun reported.
The pump is charged by two portable batteries the patient carries in a shoulder bag.
Heart pumps normally need power from the mains. But this is a new portable version, attached to the heart by tubes. It was developed in the US.
Wade had the pump fitted at the University Hospital of South Manchester.
“I have a new chance of life and I am looking forward to the birth of my new grandson next month. I feel privileged to pioneer this device,” said Wade, a resident of Macclesfield, Cheshire, and a father of four.
- Indian-American surgeon to bring low-cost heart therapy to India - Aug 04, 2012
- Doctors Save Man's Life With Plastic Heart Transplant - Feb 16, 2011
- First US teen patient with implanted mechanical heart device discharged - Nov 12, 2009
- 15-year boy first to get robot heart transplant - Oct 03, 2010
- Ex-US Vice-President Dick Cheney has pump placed in heart - Jul 15, 2010
- Delhi heart transplant patient leading normal life: Doctors - May 23, 2012
- 'Plug the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico with magnets' - Jul 01, 2010
- Implantable pump to help heart patients until transplant - Apr 03, 2009
- Dick Cheney Planted With 'Bridge To Transplant' - Jul 15, 2010
- Artificial pump effectively supports patients with heart failure - Apr 03, 2009
- Coming soon: a pacemaker with no battery - Sep 04, 2012
- Powering iPods, tiny sensors with a whiff of air - Jun 30, 2011
- Heart beat, finger pinch could help charge iPods, mobiles - Mar 30, 2011
- First UK patient receives 'reconditioned' lungs in pioneering surgery - Dec 16, 2009
- Six-year-old Brit girl survives 228 days with artificial heart - Jul 10, 2010