Breast Cancer Awareness Month Takes OffOctober 6th, 2010 - 7:41 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Oct 6, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Breast Cancer awareness month is observed every October in order to spread awareness about the disease amongst women. It has been studied, that in most cases, women go for the diagnosis in the eleventh hour, when nothing much can be done about it.
The Breast Cancer awareness month was started in the year 1985 by AstraZeneca, to promote mammography as the best way to treat the disease. This organization manufactured drugs like Arimidex and Tamoxifen. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation came to existence in 1993 by Evelyn Lauder, introducing the ‘Pink Ribbon’ logo. This year the Pelham firefighters sported a pink T-shirt to promote the cause. Patrick Weaver Sr., vice president of Professional Firefighters of Pelham said that his team was started sporting the pink T-shirts on Monday and continued doing so till Tuesday. This organization has also sold pink T-shirts at $15, in order to raise fund for the Cancer Research. Designed by CK Productions, these T-shirts sported the Pink Ribbon in the center of the Pelham logo. In total more than hundred such T-shirts were sold, that raised a fund of more than $1500. In Liverpool, a cosmetics company, “Real” has introduced a limited edition beauty product that would be dedicated to the cause and the its profit would be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Centers.
This year, Facebook is making special effort to spread Breast Cancer Awareness for the netizens. People are posting things that says, “I like in on the table”, “I like it on the floor”, “I Like It in my car”, “I like it on my desk,” “like it in the closet,” etc. The pronoun “it” stands for “purse”, explains Melissa Bell from the Washington Post. This metaphoric Facebook post, is contributing a lot to the cause this month.
- Why pink is Liz Hurley's favourite colour - Oct 12, 2010
- Costa Ricans dress in pink against breast cancer - Oct 10, 2010
- Evelyn Lauder dies at the age of 75 years - Nov 14, 2011
- Pretty in pink Liz Hurley makes US ambassador Louis Susman blush - Oct 19, 2010
- Breast cancer is a major killer in Pakistan - Jan 12, 2012
- Liz Hurley's pink skin-tight dress stuns all at cancer charity event - Oct 02, 2010
- Penelope Cruz backs cancer charity - Jul 21, 2012
- October is the Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Color the Town Pink! - Oct 04, 2010
- 'I [heart] Boobies' cancer bracelets cause mayhem in US schools - Sep 03, 2010
- Missouri State Ice Bears & Northern Illinois University Huskies to play hockey on pink ice - Oct 07, 2011
- White House Becomes Pink House To Mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Oct 15, 2010
- 'I Like It' Phenomenon On Facebook - Oct 06, 2010
- Nancy Brinker's annual salary is $5 million - Feb 07, 2012
- Breast cancer awareness walkathon held in Hyderabad - Oct 03, 2010
- Special bags to create awareness about breast cancer - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: arimidex, astrazeneca, beauty product, breast cancer, breast cancer awareness, breast cancer awareness month, breast cancer research, breast cancer research foundation, cancer awareness month, cancer research foundation, ck productions, cosmetics company, evelyn lauder, facebook, melissa bell, metaphoric, pink ribbon, professional firefighters, ribbon logo, washington post