Brazil to breed mosquitoes to fight dengueJuly 9th, 2012 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
Brasilia, JulY 9 (IANS/EFE) Brazilian authorities have inaugurated a breeder for a genetically modified type of aedes aegypti mosquito in hopes of finding a more effective way to combat dengue, of which over 430,000 cases have been registered this year nationwide.
The so-called “mosquito factory” was built at a cost of 1.7 million reais ($850,000) and financed by the government of Bahia state with the help of the health ministry.
According to health officials, mosquitoes bred in such an installation receive injections of different viruses that kill the larvae before they are born, which means the number of mosquitoes tends to diminish.
The process has been tested successfully in the city of Juazeiro in central Bahia state, where the number of aedes aegypti mosquitoes dropped by 90 percent in six months, according to official estimates.
The laboratory inaugurated Saturday will breed 4 million mosquitoes a year, which the authorities plan to let loose in the future in a medium-sized city in order to test the real impact of the experiment based on techniques already tried out by English scientists.
- Genetically engineered mosquitoes thwart dengue spreaders - Nov 12, 2010
- 'Travel, urbanisation have led to 50-fold rise in dengue cases' - Sep 17, 2012
- Lahore dengue toll rises to 127 - Oct 02, 2011
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- 12,000 Delhi premises conducive for mosquito breeding: Walia - Jun 22, 2012
- Over 1,200 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 10, 2012
- "Mamatadidi MBBS" tackles dengue (West Bengal newsletter) - Sep 08, 2012
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- Malaysia release of GM insects 'may create uncontrollable new species' - Jan 27, 2011
- 10 dead, over 2,000 hit by dengue in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2011
- Dengue emergency declared in Colombian city - Feb 07, 2010
- Coming soon: A trap to trick pregnant mosquitoes! - Dec 26, 2010
- Can GM mosquitoes wipe out dengue? - Oct 24, 2010
- Delay in checking dengue in Bengal, says governor - Sep 11, 2012
- Honduras declares emergency due to dengue - Jun 23, 2010