BP drug lowers weight in spite of high fat dietApril 13th, 2012 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, April 13 (IANS) ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor captopril (CAP), a drug commonly used for the treatment of hypertension and cardiac conditions, can reduce the weight of mice even on a high fat diet, says a new study.
Initially, mice were put on a high fat diet for 12 weeks to develop obesity. During the following 12-week treatment period, they were given a high fat diet and either water containing CAP or plain tap water (the control).
“From the first week of treatment, food intake and body weight decreased in the mice treated with CAP compared with the control mice (which took plain water),” said Shirmila Premaratna, from La Trobe’s Faculty of Science, Technology and Engineering, who led the study.
Previously studies have shown that treatment with CAP prevented diet-induced obesity in rats and mice. However, this new research has extended those findings by showing that CAP treatment could also reverse diet-induced obesity, reduce inflammation and improve insulin sensitivity, according to a university statement.
“Weight loss was maintained throughout the treatment period of the study in mice, in addition, CAP improved peripheral insulin sensitivity (greater capacity to lower blood sugars) and decreased the rate of storing fat and glucose in the liver,” said Premaratna.
Obesity is becoming a major epidemic of the 21st century, with approximately 1.6 billion adults worldwide overweight and 400 million fulfilling the obesity criteria.
Obesity is associated with a number of other diseases such as Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and certain cancers.
- Birch bark ingredient has an array of metabolic benefits - Jan 05, 2011
- Watermelon reduces hardening of arteries - Oct 28, 2011
- World's first anti-obesity shot promising - Jul 09, 2012
- Human enzyme holds promise of weight loss - Nov 15, 2011
- Found! Hormone that makes you pile on pounds - Oct 16, 2011
- Molasses extract helps in reducing obesity - Jul 12, 2011
- Tangerines help prevent obesity, protect against heart disease - Apr 07, 2011
- Potential new target for diabetes, heart disease treatments identified - Nov 17, 2010
- Heart hormone helps shape fat metabolism - Feb 07, 2012
- Tea can prevent weight gain - Dec 19, 2010
- Exercise can undo effects of maternal obesity - Feb 10, 2012
- Poor pre-pregnancy diet ups baby's risk of diabetes, obesity - Jul 03, 2011
- Shed those extra kilos before pregnancy for a healthy baby - Feb 03, 2011
- Plant oil may be a key in the fight against obesity - Mar 24, 2011
- Your bodies resist weight loss efforts - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: blood sugars, cancers, captopril, cardiac conditions, cardiovascular disease, control mice, enzyme inhibitor, faculty of science, food intake, glucose, hypertension, inflammation, insulin sensitivity, obesity, plain water, science technology, tap water, treatment of hypertension, treatment period, type 2 diabetes