Botox Injections Approved By FDA To Treat MigrainesOctober 18th, 2010 - 8:58 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Oct 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Anti-wrinkle injection Botox has been approved as treatment for chronic migraines by the Food and Drug Administration late last week. A statement that was released by the FDA on Friday confirmed that Botox can be used as a drug to treat patients with chronic migraines. According to the statement, people suffering from migraine pain can be administered with Botox injections every three months in areas such as neck and head to ease away future headache symptoms.
Although the usage of Botox injections to counter headaches due to migraine has been approved by the FDA, it has been pointed out that the anti-wrinkle injection does not seem to work in case of patients who suffer from migraine 14 days or less every month. At the same time, it has also been warned that the Botox injections also does not seem to be effective for other kinds of headaches. While talking about FDA’s decision to approve Botox injection as a treatment for migraine, Dr. Russell Katz who is associated with Division of Neurology Products in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research has noted that migraine is indeed among the most disabling forms of headaches and so it is extremely important to have a huge array of treatment procedure.
However, United States is not the first country to approve the drug that is manufactured by Allergan, Inc. Earlier this year, United Kingdom become the first country to approve the usage of Botox injections to treat headaches due to migraines. The drug was approved by FDA after analyzing 1,300 patients each of whom got a Botox or a dummy injection.
- FDA Approves Botox To Prevent Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Botox may not be effective in treating migraines - Feb 10, 2011
- Now, cure migraine with a botox jab - Jan 19, 2012
- FDA approves botox for migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Now, treat chronic migraine with Botox - Aug 30, 2011
- Now, use Botox to zap that horrendous migraine - Aug 13, 2010
- US teenagers get 12,000 botox jabs in a year - Aug 13, 2010
- Botox may help reduce 'eye-popping' migraine headaches - Feb 16, 2010
- Botox 'may help women with vaginal spasms that prevent them from having sex' - Feb 26, 2011
- Botox 'can alleviate severe spinal headaches' - Apr 15, 2011
- Nicole Kidman Finally Confesses Using Botox Injection In Past - Jan 12, 2011
- Eyelash Enhancer Latisse Might Cure Baldness - Jan 11, 2011
- Anti-depressants ease osteoarthritis pain - Mar 23, 2012
- FDA approves first oral drug that reduces multiple sclerosis relapses - Sep 22, 2010
- Botox reduces wrinkles even with less frequent doses - Apr 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,