Blind man’s sight restored after 55 yearsJune 18th, 2011 - 9:37 am ICT by IANS
New York, June 18 (IANS) A man in New York, who was blind in one eye for 55 years, has got his sight back.
The patient - now 63 - was eight years old when his retina was detached after he was hit in the right eye with a stone.
Doctors said restoring sight after this length of time was a first in medical science, BBC reported quoting the Journal of Medical Case Reports.
The man went to the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, saying he had pain and redness in his eye. There was swelling, bleeding and a high fluid pressure in his right eye. After washing the eye and treating with a drug that stopped new blood vessels forming, the eye went from completely blind to being able to detect bright light.
Doctors thought this was encouraging enough to try re-attaching the retina.
After surgery, the man was able to see again.
Olusola Olawoye, one of the doctors involved in the process, said: “To the best of our knowledge this is the first report of visual recovery in a patient with long-standing traumatic retinal detachment.”
“This is not only a great result for our patient but has implications for restoring eyesight in other patients, especially in the context of stem cell research into retinal progenitor cells which may be able to be transplanted into diseased retinas to restore vision.”
- Scientists image tiny light-sensing cells in eye - Jun 09, 2011
- Scientists say that blindness can be simply cured by an injection in the eye - Jul 26, 2012
- Eye operation helps blind Briton to see - May 04, 2012
- Nine go blind after operation in Andhra - May 27, 2012
- Neoretina offers advanced surgery - Jan 19, 2012
- Bionic eye can restore lost vision - Nov 03, 2010
- Stem cell therapy may help restore sight in retinitis pigmentosa sufferers - Feb 25, 2010
- Camera chip offers hope to people with blindness-linked condition - Oct 19, 2010
- 'Bionic eye' to help the blind 'see' - Dec 21, 2010
- New prosthetic device offers to hope to the visually impaired - Nov 19, 2010
- Astonishing bionic enables blind to see - Nov 22, 2011
- New hope for restoring vision in the blind - Sep 22, 2010
- Bionic eye to help the blind 'see' - Nov 27, 2010
- Bionic 'eye' restores partial vision in woman - Oct 22, 2009
- London hospital to do Europe's first embryonic stem cell trial - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: bbc, blind man, blood vessels, doctors, eye and ear infirmary, eyesight, length of time, medical case, medical science, new blood, new york eye and ear infirmary, progenitor cells, retina, retinal detachment, retinas, stem cell research, to the best of our knowledge, york eye