Bird flu case surfaces in BhubaneswarFebruary 4th, 2012 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 4 (IANS) Odisha has banned the movement of poultry and related products from an area in the capital Bhubaneswar after a bird flu case surfaced in the city, an official said Saturday.
The state authorities had recently sent three poultry samples from the government-run Central Poultry Development Organisation (CPDO) to the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) in Bhopal after several chickens suddenly died.
One of these samples tested positive for the deadly H5N1 virus, state animal resources development department director Benudhar Dash told IANS. The CPDO has nearly 30,000 poultry birds.
Dash said to prevent the spread of infection, the movement of poultry and related products has been restricted from the area within a three km radius of the firm.
The state had culled thousands of poultry birds earlier this month after bird flu cases were detected in the districts of Khordha, Mayurbhanj and Angul. Although Bhubaneswar comes under Khordha district, this was the first case of bird flu reported in the city.
Dash said he is waiting for instructions from higher authorities on whether to carry out culling operations in the affected area.
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012
- More poultry birds culled in Odisha - Jan 18, 2012
- Odisha orders poultry cull after detection of bird flu - Jan 11, 2012
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Odisha alerts officials after test confirms bird flu - Jan 09, 2012
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Meghalaya on alert after test confirms bird flu - Jan 11, 2012
- Poultry culling begins in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2012
- Fresh death of fowls, culling continues in Meghalaya - Jan 15, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- 2,000 dead birds set off flu fears in Meghalaya - Jan 09, 2012
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: angul, animal disease, animal resources, bhopal, bird flu, chickens, cpdo, department director, development organisation, disease laboratory, flu, flu cases, h5n1 virus, high security, odisha, poultry samples, related products, resources development, state animal, state authorities