Bill Gates in India to receive Indira Gandhi Peace PrizeJuly 23rd, 2009 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) Bill Gates, the founder of software giant Microsoft, is in India to receive the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development on behalf of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that has been actively working here in the field of health and development, especially HIV/AIDS.
Gates will also meet Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad here Friday.
According to officials at the foundation, he has a tightly packed schedule but the main focus of Gates’ visit is accepting the prize on behalf of the foundation.
“The foundation has been working actively on a range of issues, including HIV/AIDS. During his visit, therefore, he will highlight the key milestones of the foundation,” an official said.
In 2003, the foundation launched Avahan, a 10-year initiative to support India’s efforts to reduce the spread of HIV. To achieve this the foundation has been working with vulnerable communities like sex workers, drug injectors, and men having sex with men, among others, in six states of the country.
- India can meet budget for its AIDS programmes: Azad - Dec 01, 2011
- Bill Gates in India to receive Indira Gandhi Peace Prize - Jul 23, 2009
- A new 'Gate-way' for India's Africa diplomacy - May 31, 2012
- Gates praises India for containing polio - May 31, 2012
- Bill, Melinda Gates meet Health Minister Azad, discuss issues relating to polio vaccination - Mar 22, 2011
- Bill Gates ups AIDS aid to $338 mn in India - Jul 23, 2009
- Azad meets Bill, Melinda Gates - Mar 22, 2011
- Azad, Bill Gates discuss ways to strengthen health scenario in India - Jul 24, 2009
- Bill Gates to receive Indira Gandhi Peace Prize today - Jul 25, 2009
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to focus on drugs, vaccine research - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Big mistake' if US blocks overseas skilled workers: Bill Gates (Lead) - Jul 24, 2009
- India's winning plan to fight AIDS holds hope for Africa (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Africa eyes India's winning plan to fight AIDS - Jul 30, 2012
- President confers Indira Gandhi Prize on Bill Gates - Jul 25, 2009
- HIV/AIDS bill still pending: Azad - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: bill and melinda, bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, bill gates, disarmament, drug injectors, family welfare, gandhi peace prize, ghulam nabi azad, health and development, hiv aids, indira gandhi, melinda gates foundation, men having sex, men having sex with men, New Delhi, sex with men, sex workers, software giant microsoft, vulnerable communities