Bihar seeks central help on mysterious diseaseJune 9th, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 9 (IANS) Bihar Saturday sought help from the central government to tackle a mysterious disease that has killed 81 children in Muzaffarpur, Gaya and Patna districts during the past fortnight, officials said.
“We expect central government help and support to check and control the mysterious disease,” Health Minister Ashwini Choubey said.
Seven more children died in Muzaffarpur in the last 24 hours, taking the toll to 37 in the district. Ten children have died in Gaya.
Besides, 34 children have died in the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) in the past 15 days.
Dr. Sujata Choudhary, head of the department of paediatric in the PMCH, said 80 children suffering from the disease were admitted to the hospital, of which 34 died.
Health officials here said that over four dozen children suffering from “a mysterious disease” had been admitted to hospitals in the other two districts.
Choubey visited hospitals in Muzaffarpur Friday night and Gaya Saturday to take stock of the situation.
He denied reports that the children were dying of suspected encephalitis and said the department was yet to determine the exact cause of deaths.
“It may be due to acute encephalopathy syndrome, including heat stroke,” Chobey said.
Some doctors and health officials have reportedly said the children were showing symptoms similar to encephalitis.
Opposition parties Rashtriya Janata Dal, the Lok Janshakti Party, the Congress and the Nationalist Congres Party blamed the state government for the deaths. “The state government is responsible for children’s deaths,” RJD chief Lalu Prasad said.
Last year, encephalitis, a mosquito-borne disease, claimed nearly 150 lives in Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts.
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 36 in Bihar - Jun 07, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 31 in Bihar - Jun 06, 2012
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- Bihar: Suspected encephalitis kills six more - Sep 14, 2011
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: ashwini, central government, congres, encephalitis, exact cause, fortnight, gaya, health minister, health officials, heat stroke, janata, lalu prasad, lok, medical college, mosquito borne disease, mysterious disease, opposition parties, paediatric, pmch, state government