Bihar alert on avian influenzaFebruary 26th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 26 (IANS) Bihar has sounded an alert against possible spread of avian influenza after a large number of crows died in the state from bird flu, officials said Sunday.
The health department has directed all district civil surgeons to keep in touch with the district animal husbandry department and follow the advise of its director.
“The civil surgeons have been asked to prepare and keep a rapid response team to meet an influenza breakout and report unnatural human deaths immediately,” a health department official said.
Last week, it was revealed in a report of the Bhopal-based High Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) that crows are dying in Bihar because of bird flu.
The HSADL confirmed the deaths in Gaya district.
The Bihar government then directed the animal husbandry department to take steps to deal with the situation.
Hundreds of crows have died in Bihar in the last one and a half months, particularly in Gaya, Banka, Nawada, Jamui, Bhagalpur, Munger and Aurangabad districts.
The Bihar Animal Husbandry Department has asked people not to touch the dead crows. It has issued advertisements in local dailies asking people to alert the administration if they spot any dead crows.
- Crows are dying in Bihar from bird flu - Feb 18, 2012
- Bihar SOS to centre on tackling bird flu - Mar 09, 2012
- Bird Flu killing crows in Jharkhand - Dec 15, 2011
- Odisha orders poultry cull after detection of bird flu - Jan 11, 2012
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012
- More poultry birds culled in Odisha - Jan 18, 2012
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Dead crows in Jharkhand raise fears of avian virus - Nov 29, 2011
- Meghalaya culls 5,000 birds - Jan 18, 2012
- Bird flu suspected in Meghalaya - Feb 10, 2012
- Odisha alerts officials after test confirms bird flu - Jan 09, 2012
- Poultry culling begins in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2012
- Satellite phones to help Bihar fight Maoists, floods - Apr 23, 2012
- Make poultry farming in northeast more scientific: Aviation flu experts - Apr 22, 2012
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: advertisements, animal disease, animal husbandry, aurangabad, banka, bhagalpur, bihar government, bird flu, breakout, dailies, dead crows, disease laboratory, flu, health department, high security, human deaths, influenza, munger, rapid response team