Bhopal’s nurses call off strikeFebruary 5th, 2011 - 1:31 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Feb 5 (IANS) In a late night development, the nurses of Bhopal who were on strike along with those of four other medical colleges since the past three days called off their strike Friday after a meeting with health education department officials.The officers, led by principal secretary of health education Indranil Shankar Daani, after meeting a group of nurses also ordered release of 202 nurses who were arrested Thursday and also revoked suspension orders on some, said health department spokesperson Manoj Pathak.
On Thursday, 202 nurses were arrested in Bhopal and 14 were suspended when they refused to call off their strike despite the Madhya Pradesh government invoking the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) to prevent any disruption of health services in the state.
Around 3,500 nurses of five medical colleges - one each in Bhopal, Indore, Gwalior, Jabalpur and Rewa districts - were on an indefinite strike since Wednesday.
They were demanding benefits of the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations, raising their retirement age to 65 years and increasing the stipend given to trainee nurses.
The state government invoked ESMA on Tuesday night.
However, four other medical colleges nurses are still on strike and it would be interesting to see what step they take Saturday when their colleagues call off their strike unconditionally in the state capital.
- Madhya Pradesh cracks down on striking nurses, 202 arrested (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh cracks down on striking nurses 100 arrested - Feb 03, 2011
- Gwalior junior doctors call off strike - Nov 16, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's junior doctors call off strike - Nov 20, 2011
- 13 doctors dismissed in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 16, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh doctors' strike enters sixth day, talks fail - Jul 25, 2009
- Junior doctors in Madhya Pradesh call off strike (Lead) - Feb 26, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh to have emergency '108' service in all districts - May 24, 2011
- Andhra junior doctors to intensify strike - Feb 10, 2012
- Nurses go on strike in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 27, 2010
- Junior doctors in MP end strike following state Govt's assurance - Jul 29, 2009
- Junior doctors end 14-day strike in Bihar - Jun 28, 2012
- Striking doctors end 10-day stir in Madhya Pradesh - Jul 30, 2009
- Near total shutdown in Madhya Pradesh - Jul 05, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh sees clashes, arrests during shutdown (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: bhopal, commission recommendations, disruption, education department officials, essential services, health department, health education department, indefinite strike, indore, jabalpur, madhya pradesh government, maintenance act, medical colleges, pathak, principal secretary, retirement age, rewa, services maintenance, stipend, suspension orders