Better body image helps weight lossJuly 18th, 2011 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 18 (IANS) Improving body image helps in weight loss programs based on diet and exercise.
Obesity is known to increase the risk of diabetes and heart disease and can significantly shorten life expectancy.
Technical University of Lisbon’s Pedro J. Teixeira, who led the research, said: “Body image problems are very common amongst overweight and obese people, often leading to comfort eating and more rigid eating patterns, and are obstacles to losing weight.”
“Our results showed a strong correlation between improvements in body image, especially in reducing anxiety about other peoples’ opinions, and positive changes in eating behaviour.”
Researchers from Technical and Bangor universities (Spain and Britain, respectively) enrolled overweight and obese women on a year-long weight loss programme, reports the International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity.
Half the women were given general health information about good nutrition, stress management, and the importance of looking after themselves, according to a Technical University statement.
The other half attended 30 weekly group sessions where issues such as exercise, emotional eating, improving body image and the recognition of, and how to overcome, personal barriers to weight loss and lapses from the diet were discussed.
Women in the second group found that the way they thought about their body improved and that concerns about body shape and size were reduced.
Compared to the first group, they were better able to self-regulate their eating and they lost much more weight, losing ann average seven percent of their starting weight compared to less than two percent for the first group.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Proteins protect bones during weight loss dieting - Dec 01, 2011
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
- Don't skip meals to shed weight - Jul 15, 2012
- Weight loss helps boost low testosterone levels - Jun 26, 2012
- False body-image may cause unsafe weight-loss behaviour - Jun 18, 2010
- Diet, exercise combination best way to lose weight - Apr 15, 2011
- Weight loss supplements are no good - Mar 07, 2012
- Lean protein helps dieters resist late night snacks - Apr 01, 2011
- Nintendo Wii keeps idle people fit - May 05, 2011
- Weight loss secures lasting benefits - Aug 03, 2012
- Obese and overweight women, kids think they weigh less - Mar 24, 2011
- Exercise counters negative effects of weight regain - Mar 03, 2010
- Slimming before pregnancy ensures healthier births - Apr 15, 2012
- Weight Watchers' members lose twice as many kilos - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: asian news, body image problems, body shape, diabetes and heart disease, emotional eating, general health, good nutrition, group sessions, heart disease, lapses, life expectancy, losing weight, obese women, personal barriers, physical activity, positive changes, second group, stress management, universities spain, weekly group