Bengal to take religious leaders’ help for polio vaccinationApril 21st, 2012 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 21 (IANS) In a bid to make sure that each and every child of the state ias administered polio vaccine, the West Bengal government Saturday said it will take help of religious leaders to persuade the families who are still resisting the vaccine.
“We will take the help of religious leaders and madrasas to persuade the families/ parents to immunize their children with the polio vaccine,” said Minister of State for Health Chandrima Bhattacharjee.
She said that on April 20, announcements were made at 400 mosques in the state to oversee that all children below the age of five have taken the polio vaccine.
Bhattacharjee added that nearly 95 percent of the children in the state have taken the polio vaccine. She added that the state government will send letter to each and every household in order to convince them to bring their kids to the polio booth.
India was taken off the list of polio endemic countries by the World Health Organisation (WHO), after no cases of polio was recorded in the country in last one year as on Feb 25, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- How battle against polio was won in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 24, 2011
- Spread awareness about polio: Minister to Bengal religious leaders - Jun 16, 2012
- Faltering on polio, Pakistan looks at India lesson - Mar 02, 2012
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- Japan gives 120 mn yen grant to fight polio - Mar 26, 2012
- Any new polio cases to be public health emergency: Azad - Feb 18, 2012
- WHO takes India off polio endemic list (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- A million Pakistani kids to get anti-polio drops - Jul 16, 2012
- Another round of pulse polio campaign launched in Delhi - Mar 26, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: endemic countries, household, India, madrasas, minister of state, mosques, parents, polio, polio vaccination, polio vaccine, religious leaders, state government, west bengal government, world health organisation