Being Bossed Around At Work ‘Raises Risk Of Heart Attack’September 15th, 2012 - 1:25 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Sept 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) New research has found out that being bossed around at work raises the chances of someone getting a heart attack by 23 percent.
The research shows that those workers who are bossed around at work and are mostly powerless are at a higher risk of developing heart attacks that their counterparts who are less stressed. A research was carried out on 200000 workers starting from civil servants to factory workers and it was found that straining at the work place is connected to small but increased risks of one getting a heart attack. This was said by Mika Kivimaki who led the university college London research. There were previous studies before but the studies had conflicting results.
Those who participated in the research completed forms about their jobs and the stresses and workloads that they went through while at work. Those doing the research defined a stressful job as one where workers have a large workload but little decision making room.
The researchers followed the workers up and they recorded over 2000 cases of heart attacks after a period of a little over seven years. Other factors that added to the risk of heart attacks to the stressed workers are lifestyle, age and social background as found by the scientists.
- 11-hour work days 'can increase heart attack risk by 67pc' - Apr 05, 2011
- Working 11 hours can up heart attack risk by 67 percent - Apr 05, 2011
- Having a fling or one-night stand 'can give you a heart attack' - Mar 23, 2011
- High job stress 'ups risk of heart disease by 40 pc for women' - Nov 15, 2010
- Bad jobs 'make mental health worse' - Oct 14, 2010
- Long working hours could cause depression - Jan 27, 2012
- Bosses, office politics ruling our dreamworld - Dec 11, 2011
- Standing long hours affects babies' growth - Jun 28, 2012
- Optimism keeps heart in robust health - Jul 05, 2011
- Emotional support cuts absenteeism at workplace - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,