Beetroot juice could energise the elderlyDecember 20th, 2010 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 20 (IANS) Beetroot juice could energise the elderly to lead more active lives, says a new study.In tests, they required less energy to carry out low-intensity exercises after drinking the juice. The amount of effort it took to walk was reduced by 12 percent.
This could allow the elderly to carry out tasks they might not otherwise attempt, said the researchers from the Exeter University, Britain, reports the Journal of Applied Physiology.
Beetroot juice widens blood vessels and reduces the amount of oxygen needed by muscles during activity, according to the Daily Mail.
As people age, or if they develop conditions that affect the cardiovascular system, the amount of oxygen taken in during exercise can drop dramatically.
Katie Lansley from the Exeter University said: “What we’ve seen in this study is that beetroot juice can actually reduce the amount of oxygen you need to perform even low-intensity exercise.”
A team from Exeter and the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry gave subjects normal beetroot juice or juice with the nitrates removed.
Andy Jones from Exeter said: “Each time the normal, nitrate-rich juice was used, we saw a marked improvement in performance which wasn’t there with the filtered juice - so we know the nitrate is the active ingredient.”
- Beetroot juice could help people enjoy more active lives - Dec 18, 2010
- 'Beetroot boosts runners' speed, stamina' - Apr 26, 2012
- How beetroot juice boosts stamina - May 20, 2010
- Beetroot juice boosts stamina: Research - May 22, 2010
- Beetroot juice gives stamina a boost - Aug 07, 2009
- Daily intake of beetroot juice boosts stamina - Aug 07, 2009
- Chemical in plastic bottles aggravates heart risk - Aug 16, 2012
- Soccer halves risk of early death among homeless - Oct 03, 2011
- Nitrate in beetroot juice reduces BP - Jun 29, 2010
- Nitrates in spinach make you big, strong - Feb 02, 2011
- Nutraceuticals in energy drinks, foods - Mar 20, 2011
- Drinking beetroot juice lowers blood pressure - Jun 29, 2010
- Supplements 'boost stamina during heavy-intensity exercises' - Aug 27, 2010
- Tart cherries could speed muscle recovery - Feb 10, 2011
- Drinking beet juice daily promotes brain health in older adults - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: active ingredient, andy jones, beetroot juice, blood vessels, cardiovascular system, college of medicine, daily mail, dentistry, exercises, exeter university, intensity exercise, journal of applied physiology, london, medicine, muscles, nitrate, nitrates, oxygen, peninsula college