Beatles blamed for drug epidemics in RussiaJune 26th, 2012 - 7:19 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The rampant drug abuse in modern Russia can be traced to the rock band Beatles and their experiments with psychedelics, a psychoactive drug, the country’ top substance abuse official has said.
“After the Beatles travelled to Indian ashrams to expand their consciousness, they introduced the idea of changing your mental condition through drugs to the populace,” Yevgeny Bryun said.
“When business understood that you can sell it all - pleasure and things that accompany it - this was when it all started,” said Bryun, who oversees anti-drug and alcoholism efforts at the health ministry.
Modern advertising is actively promoting various “pleasures,” including drugs, undermining all medics’ efforts to the contrary, Bryun said at a press conference in Moscow.
Media should put more effort into anti-drug campaigns and promotion of healthy lifestyle, he said.
Russia has about five million drug addicts, a 60-percent increase from 2000, Federal Drug Control Service head Viktor Ivanov said in February.
- Russia has five mn drug users: Official - Dec 20, 2011
- Alcohol consumption in Russia is double WHO limit - Nov 12, 2010
- Russian narcotics market worth over $8 bn - Mar 24, 2012
- Medvedev wants drug treatment for drug abusers - Apr 19, 2011
- Putin against compulsory anti-drug treatment - Jun 30, 2011
- Russian schools may launch mandatory drug tests - May 17, 2011
- Drug money damages world economy by $2 trillion annually - Jan 27, 2012
- Russia launches hotline to fight drug promotion - Jun 01, 2011
- Russia may legalise cannabis for industrial use - Sep 23, 2011
- Russia-US to battle Afghan drug trade - Nov 01, 2010
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- Russia to introduce drug tests for students - Feb 17, 2011
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- Russian media market to grow to $39 bn by 2016 - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia to resume building diesel submarines - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,