Baby dies as doctor delays ‘unlucky’ birth dateSeptember 16th, 2011 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 16 (IANS) A doctor in China delayed surgery to deliver a baby as the date was considered “inauspicious”, causing the baby to die three days after it was born.
The family has claimed doctor Zeng Yuanna at the People’s Hospital in Yangjiang in Guangdong province refused to operate Aug 13 as that date was the “Ghost Festival” according to the Chinese lunar calendar.
Though the 32-year-old mother had requested a Caesarean section, the hospital claimed the family insisted on postponing surgery by a day, fearing the inauspicious day was unlucky for the baby, the Shanghai Daily reported.
The family on the other hand said that when Li Xiaoqin showed signs of labour Aug 12, the doctor asked her to delay surgery as operating on the Ghost Festival would bring bad luck.
When nurses prepared Li for surgery Aug 14, they could not hear the baby’s heartbeat. The baby was later born in a critical condition and died three days later.
The family is now demanding two million yuan ($313,000) in compensation.
- Amanda Holden has a scary time while giving birth - Jan 26, 2012
- Patient's stitches removed as he couldn't afford surgery - Aug 08, 2011
- Iraqi woman gives birth to quadruplets - Apr 02, 2011
- British hospitals ban caesareans in cost-cutting move - Aug 21, 2011
- Baby born with two heads in Brazil - Dec 21, 2011
- Baby with six legs born in Pakistan - Apr 18, 2012
- 'Chinese men entitled to paid paternity leave' - Mar 05, 2012
- Man jailed for spreading Hepatitis C rumour - Mar 05, 2012
- A 7 kg baby is born in China! - Feb 19, 2012
- Babies born by caesarean more likely to be obese - May 24, 2012
- China sets up bank to freeze eggs of women cancer patients - Dec 26, 2010
- Baby with two heads born in Brazil - Dec 22, 2011
- Baby born with no blood saved by doctors - Jan 27, 2012
- Rare surgery saves 12-day-old infant in Punjab - Sep 21, 2011
- Chinese moms to donate liver to each other's kids - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: bad luck, beijing, birth date, caesarean section, china, chinese lunar calendar, critical condition, ghost festival, guangdong province, heartbeat, nurses, old mother, s hospital, shanghai, signs of labour, two million, yangjiang, yuan