Aussie sex gel coated on condoms may help prevent STIsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:26 am ICT by admin
The vaginal microbicide, which is still under clinical trials has been found to prevent HIV and genital herpes in animal and human, which works by preventing viruses from entering cells, avoiding infection.
The active ingredient in the microbicide is dendrimer, a molecule that binds itself to the viruses and prevents them from infecting healthy cells.
Also the gel was found to be a potent contraceptive, in early research stage.
Starpharma chief executive Dr Jackie Fairley said that microbicides were considered one of the most attractive new prevention options for STIs and also that it is a much-needed option for third world nations like sub-Saharan Africa where HIV and genital herpes rates were the highest in the world.
“We feel the health sector has focused on finding a cure or treatment to disease, whereas we believe very strongly that prevention is a preferable option in curbing the disturbing increase in STIs in both the developed and developing worlds,” Dr Fairley said. (ANI)
- A Vaginal Gel Represents A Breakthrough In The War Against AIDS - Jul 20, 2010
- Vaginal gel could offer protection against HIV - May 24, 2010
- Anti-HIV vaginal gel deemed safe for rectal use too - Mar 01, 2011
- Non-stick protein coating in semen cuts HIV infection - Sep 24, 2010
- Now, a test to predict HIV microbicides' safety - Jul 12, 2009
- Vaginal gel halves women's chance of getting AIDS - Jul 20, 2010
- Vaginal gel 'can cut HIV risk by 39pct in women' - Jul 20, 2010
- Unprotected anal sex ups HIV risk 20-fold - May 26, 2010
- Microbicide trial results signal end of one chapter, focus turns to promising ARV-based candidates - Dec 14, 2009
- Finally, anti-HIV microbicides research gives hope - Feb 25, 2009
- CSD500: Erection inducing condoms developed - May 10, 2011
- Why even treated genital herpes sores boost the risk of HIV infection - Aug 03, 2009
- Herpes vaccine edges closer to reality - Jun 16, 2010
- Sexually transmitted infections drop in Tamil Nadu: Survey - Nov 04, 2011
- Anti-HIV microbicide ineffective, trials show - Dec 14, 2009
Tags: active ingredient, aussie sex, cells, condom company, condoms, curbing, dendrimer, durex, executive dr, genital herpes, health sector, herpes infections, hiv, microbicides, prevention options, research stage, stis, sub saharan africa, third world nations, viruses