Aspirin lowers risk of cancer mortalityAugust 12th, 2012 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 12 (IANS) Aspirin intake tends to lower the risk of cancer mortality, says a study.
A recent pooled analysis of randomized trials looking at the effects of daily aspirin use as a preventive measure found a significant 37 percent fall in overall cancer mortality.
But the effects of long-term daily aspirin use on cancer mortality remain largely unknown, the Journal of the National Cancer Institute reports.
Eric J. Jacobs, Epidemiology Research Programme at the American Cancer Society (ACS) in Atlanta looked at data on 100,139 men and women who had no prior history of cancer but had been taking aspirin daily, ACS said.
The researchers found that among 5,138 participants who died because of cancer, daily aspirin usage was linked with slightly lower cancer mortality and was unrelated to the length of daily use.
“Our results are consistent with an association between recent daily aspirin use and modestly lower cancer mortality,” the authors said.
However, the estimated reduced risk of 16 percent was much lower than the 37 percent reduction seen during a five-year follow-up period in the pooled analysis.
Still, the researchers said: “Even a relatively modest benefit with respect to overall cancer mortality could still meaningfully influence the balances of risk and benefits of prophylactic aspirin use.”
- Daily aspirin dose cuts cancer risk in elderly - Aug 11, 2012
- Daily aspirin cuts bowel cancer death risk - Apr 26, 2012
- An aspirin a day 'cuts cancer death rate by 50pc' - Dec 07, 2010
- Vitamin E lowers liver cancer risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Aspirin may cut the risk of pancreatic cancer - Apr 05, 2011
- Following cancer prevention guidelines lower risk of death from all-causes - Apr 16, 2011
- Taking aspirin daily 'cuts prostate cancer risk by 30pc' - Aug 12, 2010
- Aspirin safer than warfarin in preventing stroke: Study - May 03, 2012
- Wine's role ambiguous in protecting heart - Jan 31, 2012
- Aspirin advised for everyone over 45 to keep heart disease, cancer at bay - Nov 24, 2010
- Taking aspirin for heart disease prevention is less costly, more effective - Feb 23, 2011
- Aspirin cuts cancer risk - Mar 21, 2012
- Aspirin reduces risk of cancer recurrence in prostate cancer patients - May 03, 2011
- New aspirin curbs 11 kinds of cancer, shrinks tumours - Mar 09, 2012
- Why folic acid won't prevent a heart attack - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: acs, american cancer society, aspirin, benefit, cancer mortality, epidemiology research, j jacobs, journal of the national cancer institute, men and women, national cancer institute, participants, preventive measure, randomized trials, risk