Art auction for polio eradicationMay 26th, 2009 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Works of eminent artists, including M.F. Husain and Satish Gujral, will go under the hammer Saturday to raise funds for the fight against polio in India.
Over 90 paintings will be auctioned for the cause, said Krishen Khanna, a known artist, whose works are also included in the May 30 auction.
The collection comprises works of veterans like Jamini Roy, M.F. Husain, F.N. Souza, Krishen Khanna, Satish Gujral, Anjolie Ela Menon, and Laxman Pai. Among the upcoming talents whose works are also included in the collection are Hemraj, Nidhi Agarwal and Satya Sai.
“We understand the gravity of the situation and urge the society to rely on us and our efforts to help curb the problem (polio),” Khanna told reporters here.
The charity auction is being organised by the Rotary International in association with the embassy of Switzerland and India’s oldest art gallery Dhoomimal Gallery.
Switzerland’s Ambassador H.E. Philippe said: “It is a matter of honour for me and my country that we are associated with the Rotary club in this noble initiative of eradication of polio. It is in fact our duty to honour such a noble cause.”
The charity auction will see diplomats, industrialists, art connoisseurs and Bollywood stars.
- Fake modern Indian art market fattens on budget buyers (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- Indian envoy inaugurates exhibition in southern Kazakh capital Shymkent - Mar 12, 2010
- Four Indian galleries, Husain tribute at Art Dubai 2012 (With Image) - Jan 17, 2012
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
- For M.F. Husain, Shahnaz Husain was empress Noor Jahan (With Images) - Jul 03, 2011
- Back to basics: Masters show importance of lines and strokes (Rainbow Palette - Weekly Art Column, With Images) - Apr 10, 2009
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Post-Independence Indian, Pakistani masters to feature in New York show - Nov 10, 2009
- Indian paintings' exhibition opens in southern Kazakh city - Mar 12, 2010
- Indian embassy in Kazakhstan hosts art exhibition titled `Kalpana' - Jan 20, 2010
- 65 years on, young artists spearhead Indian creativity - Aug 14, 2011
- 'Kalpana' exhibition of Indian art opens in Astana (With images) - Jan 20, 2010
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
- Competitions, calendar release on Husain's birth anniversary - Sep 16, 2011
- Childhood fairytales revisited in Indian art - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: anjolie ela menon, art auction, art connoisseurs, bollywood stars, charity auction, diplomats, embassy of switzerland, eminent artists, gravity of the situation, industrialists, jamini roy, m f husain, matter of honour, oldest art, polio, polio eradication, rotary club, rotary international, satish gujral, satya sai