Argentina reports first swine flu deathJune 16th, 2009 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, June 16 (EFE) Argentina has reported its first swine flu death with a three-month-old baby dying of the influenza A(HINI) virus infection.
The infant, who lived on the outskirts of the capital Buenos Aires, had been admitted to a hospital June 2.
Meanwhile, the health ministry confirmed 89 new cases of HINI infection in addition to the 733 people who have previously got infected in Argentina in the pandemic.
Of the sick people, four are currently receiving care at hospitals and three of them are in serious condition, authorities said.
The ministry also said that the government institute that analyzes suspected cases of the virus has confirmed that 1,352 other people showing related symptoms were not, in fact, suffering from the deadly flu.
Authorities are testing another 940 patient samples to try and determine whether those people have been infected.
The number of cases of the flu has been climbing in Argentina and Chile in recent days as winter approaches in the Southern Hemisphere.
According to the World Health Organisation, 76 countries have reported a total of 35,928 cases of the virus with 163 deaths as of Monday.
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Argentina says swine flu ebbing - Sep 14, 2009
- Swine flu cases cross 3,000-mark in Australia - Jun 25, 2009
- Woman dies of swine flu in West Bengal (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- India reports 31st swine flu case, wants US to screen passengers (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2009
- Delhi prepared for swine flu - Apr 10, 2012
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- Argentina swine flu toll rises to 465 - Aug 30, 2009
- One more dies of swine flu in West Bengal - Aug 03, 2010
- One more dies of swine flu in Bengal, toll three - Jul 29, 2010
- 41 infected with bird flu in Thailand - Jun 20, 2012
- 58 Mexicans die of flu - Feb 06, 2012
- Three more swine flu cases in Bangalore, total 38 - Jun 18, 2009
- Three more swine flu cases in Bangalore, tally 38 (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
Tags: 163, aires, authorities, deadly flu, deaths, efe, flu, government institute, health ministry, hospitals, influenza, month old baby, outskirts, pandemic, patient samples, southern hemisphere, swine flu, virus infection, winter approaches, world health organisation