Apologize, doctors tell Aamir KhanMay 30th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 30 (IANS) An umbrella body of 21 medical institutions Wednesday asked Bollywood star Aamir Khan to apologize for accusing doctors of malpractices in his TV talk show “Satyamev Jayate”.
Medscape India said the representation of malpractices supposedly perpetrated by doctors was “rather sad” and Aamir Khan should offer his apologies.
“It is rather sad that doctors should be made the object of such shameless, unilateral scrutiny,” Himanshu Mehta, co-founder and advisor to Medscape India, said.
After highlighting social issues affecting Indian society, Aamir Khan, in the fourth episode of his show, turned the spotlight on healthcare and malpractices in the medical profession.
He highlighted unethical practices, corruption and scandalous revelations in medical treatment.
“Aamir Khan is my favourite actor and he should stick to making films,” said another doctor, Sunita Dube, president of Medscape.
“Surprisingly, no doctors’ body has spoken against Aamir yet. We need to stand united against such blatant lies. We are going to write a scathing letter demanding an apology from him,” Dube said.
Medscape pointed out that doctors were subjected to assault without any fault and many people didn’t understand the pressures of the profession.
“Where is Aamir Khan when doctors are assaulted? Where is he when we give free treatment to the needy?” asked Kishore Taori, president of the Maharashtra Medical Council that is associated with Medscape.
- Why should Aamir apologise, asks Javed Akhtar - Jun 03, 2012
- Parliamentary panel invites Aamir for inputs on medical issues - Jun 18, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' viewers support Aamir's expose' - Jun 10, 2012
- Lack of brickbats would have surprised me: Unapologetic Aamir Khan (Interview) (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- I've not insulted medical profession: Aamir Khan (Interview) - Jun 07, 2012
- Patients' body backs Aamir for exposing 'rot' in healthcare - Jun 08, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- About 100,000 people dialled in to speak to Aamir - May 08, 2012
- Severely punish culprits of female foeticide: Aamir - Jul 11, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev...' ends with aplomb - Jul 29, 2012
- Aamir strikes the right chord with 'Satyamev Jayate' (Roundup) - May 06, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Social issues fine, but no politics for Aamir Khan - May 07, 2012
- I'm not interested in politics: Aamir Khan (Interview) - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, apologies, apology, bollywood star, co founder, maharashtra medical council, malpractices, medical institutions, medical profession, medical treatment, medscape, mehta, mumbai, revelations, scathing letter, scrutiny, social issues, tv talk show, umbrella body, unethical practices