Anti-tobacco group cries foul over cut in space to warningsMay 5th, 2009 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) An anti-tobacco group Tuesday urged the Election Commission to take notice of the central government move to cut down pictorial health warning area on all tobacco products, including cigarette packets.
The Advocacy Forum for Tobacco Control (AFTC) alleged that to negate the efficacy of the pictorial warnings on tobacco products, a group of ministers (GoM) Sunday issued an order stating that the health warnings can appear only on one side of the product.
The order has scaled down the warning display to 20 percent of the principal display area, the AFTC said.
It had been earlier decided that tobacco products would carry pictorial warnings on both sides of their packs, covering 40 percent of the principal display area.
The GoM was counting tobacco votes over tobacco deaths, the AFTC said in a statement.
“The apparent urgency of the GoM to revisit and alter the rules pertaining to the pictorial warnings at a time when the general elections are in progress, with the code of conduct in force, is uncalled for and amounts to a colourable exercise of power,” the statement said.
“This is a serious issue of concern, considering that the warnings have not only been delayed, but have also been cut down.”
- Present tobacco pictorial warnings unclear: Health ministry - Apr 04, 2011
- Tobacco shops at IGI airport sans health warnings: NGO - Jun 11, 2012
- Government likely to further dilute tobacco control warning: NGO - Jan 22, 2009
- Outrage against delay in pictorial warnings on tobacco products in India - Jun 29, 2010
- Pictorial health warnings must on tobacco products: survey - Feb 02, 2009
- NGOs slam delay in pictorial warning on tobacco packs - Jun 29, 2010
- Health ministry plans plain packaging of tobacco products - Jul 23, 2012
- Remove tobacco ads from Metro: NGO tells DMRC - Jun 01, 2012
- Cancerous mouth pictures on tobacco products from June 1 - Mar 15, 2010
- Blatant violations of pictorial warnings on tobacco products in India: Study - Aug 26, 2009
- Skull and cross bones warnings on cigarette packs from May 31 - May 06, 2009
- Inadequate, say health activists of new anti-tobacco warnings - Jun 01, 2011
- Tobacco firms flouting pictorial warning law, shows survey - Aug 25, 2009
- Pictorial warnings on tobacco packets deferred to Dec 1 - May 18, 2010
- No smoking: Gory pictures pull in, shock trade fair visitors - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: advocacy forum, aftc, central government, cigarette packets, code of conduct, efficacy, election commission, exercise, general elections, gom, government move, health warning, health warnings, New Delhi, tobacco control, tobacco deaths, tobacco group, tobacco products, tobacco votes, urgency