Animal fat found in edible oil in ChinaMay 24th, 2012 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 24 (IANS) Over 130 tonnes of edible oil in southwestern China’s Yunnan province has been found adulterated with animal fat meant for industrial use and would be recalled.
A local oil manufacturer, the Yunnan Fengrui Oil and Fat Company, was suspected to be producing three types of cooking oil with animal fat, China Daily reported.
The use of industrial animal fat in production of food products is prohibited, as it cannot meet the hygienic standards required for cooking oil. Animal fat contains high levels of chemical pollutants such as paraffin, said Dong Jinshi, executive vice-president of the International Food Packaging Association in Beijing.
Industrial animal fat is mainly used to make soap, he said.
People can tell the difference between animal fat and cooking oil from their colour and smell, said Wang Ruiyuan, vice-chairman of the oil branch of the Chinese Cereals and Oils Association.
Food safety authorities have investigated thousands of local markets and restaurants, and had asked the oil company to recall more than 136 tonnes of inferior quality oil, said Liu Yunfeng, head of the food production supervision division in Yunnan.
- 100 held in China for reprocessing waste oil - Apr 03, 2012
- Beijing cracks down on illegal cooking oil - Jul 13, 2011
- Chinese manufacturers selling toxic lunch boxes: Survey - Mar 17, 2011
- China launches crackdown on toxic lunch box makers - Mar 17, 2011
- China to track kitchen wastes - Dec 14, 2011
- China busts gang for selling gutter oil - May 05, 2012
- China blacklists 151 materials forbidden in food, feed - Apr 24, 2011
- China to export gutter oil for jet fuel - Jul 11, 2012
- Appeal to boost rare earths imports - Aug 22, 2012
- China bans artificial flavours in baby food - Jul 27, 2010
- Cancer-causing salt used to preserve eggs in China - Jun 03, 2012
- Chinese plane flies on biofuel - Oct 28, 2011
- 248 Chinese officials arrested over food safety flaws in 2010 - Jan 31, 2011
- China tightens food safety measures - Feb 03, 2012
- Imported edible oils find growing market in India - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: animal fat, chemical pollutants, china beijing, china daily, cooking oil, edible oil, food packaging, food production, hygienic standards, inferior quality, international food, jinshi, local markets, oil branch, packaging association, production supervision, quality oil, southwestern china, yunfeng, yunnan province