Amoeba parasite causes second death in the USAugust 17th, 2011 - 10:49 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Aug 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Fear seems to have gripped a section of the US public after the second death linked to a rare creature was confirmed in the country. Autopsy carried out on 9-year-old Virginia boy Christian Alexander Strickland confirmed that he had an inflammation of the brain. The death has been blamed on “brain-eating amoeba” which is water-borne.
The mother of Christian confirmed that her son had been to several locations on a fishing day camp. 16-year-old Courtney Nash was the first American to be killed by the creature when she died on Saturday. Officials say she swam in the St. John’s River in Florida and it is suspected that she got the creature from that place.
Virginia Department of Health’s state epidemiologist, Dr. Keri Hall, warned parents to keep an eye on their children especially the water that they swim in. Amoeba infection is very rare in the United States.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said only 32 cases of amoeba infection was recorded in the United States between 2001 and 2010. The center has assured the public not to panic.
The official name of the creature is Naegleria fowleri and health officials say the infection of the creature commonly occurs during the summer.
- Four die in Pakistan from deadly amoebic infection - Jul 22, 2012
- Encephalitis scare in UP after 88 deaths - Jun 16, 2012
- Parasitic disease targets HIV-infected gay males - Nov 30, 2009
- Mummies reveal history of 'modern' plague - May 24, 2011
- Cholera cases rise in Orissa's tribal heartland - Sep 16, 2010
- Four die from Listeria outbreak in Colorado - Sep 15, 2011
- Blinding amoeba targets contact lens users - Sep 07, 2012
- Floods recede in northeast; thousands still in shelters - Jul 02, 2012
- Arthritis drug found effective in amoebic dysentery - May 21, 2012
- Bring diarrhoea patient to hospital in Orissa, get reward - Sep 10, 2010
- Central team to assess cholera situation in Orissa - Sep 18, 2010
- Central help sought as Orissa's cholera epidemic worsens - Sep 14, 2010
- Floods trigger epidemic fears in Meghalaya - Aug 22, 2011
- WWE Raw: Triple H's Surprising Announcements - Aug 30, 2011
- 3.5 mn Pakistani flood victims drinking dirty water: UN - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,