Alzheimer’s Awareness Month Will Be Observed Throughout NovemberNovember 2nd, 2010 - 8:18 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Nov 2, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Alzheimer’s Awareness Month has kicked off from yesterday, November 1, and will continue for the entire month. The day was first observed in 1982, when president Ronald Reagan signed a proclamation recognizing Alzheimer’s Awareness Week. However, this unfortunate and incurable disease grasped the president himself, just after a few years.
The main aim of this month is to spread awareness about this brain disease and also help the people who are susceptible to it. It informs the people about the several myths and facts associated with the disease. This month would encourage the people to increase the networking between care givers and patients. The present statistics states that more than 5 million Americans are suffering from this disease, out of whom, half a million are from Florida itself. This month would therefore be sincerely observed by Florida. They have already designated 15 memory disorder clinics to cater to Alzheimer’s Disease and other patients suffering from memory loss. These clinics have resolved to boost their efforts in the fields of care giving, and providing the volunteers with a better training programs for the betterment of the patients. Some of these organizations also conduct service related applied research. They have resolved to establish more such clinics in medical schools, NGOs and public and private not-for-profit hospitals.
Not only in Florida, but the netizens all over the world are now searching for tips related to this disease on web. Every one out of eight people around the age of 65 have the possibility of developing Alzheimer’s Disease, and the chances increase as we grow older. Fifty percent of the people above 85 years suffer from it, up to a certain extent. Therefore, experts say observing this month and thereby knowing about this disease is important, in order to reduce the possibility of being its prey at later stages.
- Ron Reagan Speaks About Father Ronald Reagan's Alzheimer's Disease In His New Book - Jan 15, 2011
- Nancy Reagan Celebrates Ronald Reagan's 100th Birthday - Feb 07, 2011
- Delhi to have day-care centre for Alzheimer's patients - Apr 11, 2010
- Factor X in coffee boosts protection against Alzheimer's - Jun 30, 2011
- Michael Reagan Refutes Brother's Claim That His Father Had Alzheimer - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Alzheimer's patients require love, care, medicines' - Sep 20, 2011
- Alzheimer's hits women more severely than men - Aug 26, 2012
- Ronald Reagan suffered from Alzheimer's while still in White House: Son - Jan 15, 2011
- Michael Reagan calls half-brother Ron an 'embarrassment' - Jan 17, 2011
- Sniffing insulin may help memory lost to Alzheimer's disease - Jul 19, 2010
- A fishy diet could stave off Alzheimer's risk - Dec 01, 2011
- One Indian in 50 households dementia patient - Sep 21, 2010
- Study Shows Sniffing Insulin May Benefit Alzheimer's Patients - Jul 19, 2010
- Nancy Reagan loves 'My Father at 100', says Ron Reagan - Jan 19, 2011
- Brain scans to detect Alzheimer's decades ahead - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: alzheimer, awareness month, betterment, brain disease, care givers, fifty percent, half a million, incurable disease, kar, medical schools, meena, memory disorder, memory loss, myths and facts, netizens, nov 2, november 1, president ronald reagan, profit hospitals, ronald reagan