Alfalfa Sprout Recall Issued In All US StatesMay 23rd, 2010 - 7:32 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
California, May 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In a recent development that has created sensation among nutritionists; a food company based in California has recalled its alfalfa sprouts nationwide. The recall is owing to the risk of a salmonella contamination. The contamination has already affected 20 people in 10 US states, as per the report. On Friday Caldwell Fresh Foods voluntarily recalled alfalfa sprouts marketed and made under Nature’s Choice, California Exotics and Caldwell Fresh Foods brands. It is quite well known that Salmonella contamination can lead to fatal infections particularly among children. The contamination can result in abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea accompanied by fever. People with poor immune system suffer worse.
The company Caldwell Fresh Foods has said that no casualty from the contamination has been reported. The sprouts were sold to Wal-Mart stores and Trader Joe’s. FDA is investigating the case. 11 of the victims of contaminations are from California. Among the other US sates that have got the infected alfalfa sprout Oregon, Wisconsin, Nevada, Missouri, Colorado and Arizona deserve mention. The first infection was detected on March 1. The illness that is caused by the infection usually lasts for 4 to 7 days.
This year a number of foods have been recalled and the alfalfa is the latest to join the bandwagon. The company does not want to take a chance and it has made the recall in all states of the country. The infection does not usually prove to be life threatening but in cases of the elderly and the kids, that possibility cannot be ruled out altogether. The FDA has also taken steps to alert the people about the issue.
- Alfalfa sprouts being recalled because of salmonella outbreak - May 23, 2010
- Del Monte announce a cantaloupe recall - Mar 25, 2011
- Grape tomatoes recalled over salmonella risk - May 04, 2011
- Pet Food Recall Stretched By P&G - Aug 07, 2010
- Jimmy John's sprouts linked to salmonella outbreak - Dec 20, 2010
- Egg Recall Raises Concern About Salmonella Infection - Aug 19, 2010
- Latest Egg Recall Issued By Cal-Maine Foods - Nov 10, 2010
- Michelle Obama, Wal-Mart team up for healthy food campaign - Jan 21, 2011
- 228 million eggs to be recalled because of salmonella poisoning fears - Aug 18, 2010
- Eggs Recalled Owing To Salmonella Infection In Ohio Farm - Nov 09, 2010
- 89 fall ill in US salmonella outbreak - Dec 25, 2010
- Wal-Mart showcases a new postpaid cell phone plan - Sep 14, 2010
- Pet food recall expanded due to fear of salmonella contamination - Aug 03, 2010
- Pringles Recalled, Refund For All Purchase - Mar 13, 2010
- Scientists develop new salmonella test that makes food safer - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: abdominal pain, alfalfa sprouts, bandwagon, caldwell, california exotics, diarrhea, fatal infections, food company, fresh foods, march 1, nausea, nevada missouri, oregon wisconsin, poor immune system, ranjan, salmonella contamination, sates, trader joe, wal mart, wal mart stores